65mph+ miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

65mph+ miss

Ok for several months now ive been having a slight miss every now and again at any constant speed. So last week I found out I had a code for a bad egr solenoid, replaced that and all was perfect for about two days. Now its back its a very slight miss only happens at speeds of 65+ and happens more often with the cruise set although it happens with the cruise off just not as often. If im going under 65 with or without cruise engaged it never happens. Its also not very consistent sometimes itll happen every few seconds, sometimes every two or three miles and sometimes it will only happen once or twice every fifty miles. Im just hoping somebody may have some ideas, ive talked to one mechanic who said it may be a faulty pip sensor but when I mentioned its been doing this for months he said that was highly unlikely it also seems to be getting better as it used to be a sudden jerk and its now so slight you can barely feel it any ideas?

Btw car has new plugs,wires,cap and rotor,tfi module, ignition coil, fuel filter, air cleaner, map sensor, and alternator all within the last 6 months also tps is set to .9 volts. Also code 11 both KOEO and KOER so nothing to go off there.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-20-2011, 07:44 AM.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

My first suggestion was going to be replace any ignition components that are 6+ months old. For whatever reason (I suspect due to the load) misfires on these cars have only appeared at speed.....and they're finicky with ignition parts that are even slightly worn. Might be the nature of the beast - 20+ yr old motor - but I can't say for sure.

Have you got a vacuum gauge to put on it?

Intermittent stuff like this is always the hardest to find.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Could it be a very small head gasket leak? My 93 Taurus with the infamous 3.8 V6 had a miss under load that was eventually found to be the head gasket.

I also wonder if it is not a miss at all and possibly the A/C compressor cycling on and off? I have driven cars where you could feel it cycling on the highway if you were paying attention.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Has the filter/fluid ever been changed on the AOD?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

New fluid and filter 10000 miles ago. And I also wouldnt be surprised if maybe it is the a/c compressor cycling I always use the hi-lo function on the heater and I know that cycles the compressor. Ill take it for a drive after work with everything off and see if it does it then. I can tell you that it ia so slight of a miss yoi can barely feel it maybe I shoild ignore it like I did previously and come to think about it this did start happening right about the time I got my a/c fixed, and I know if your driving with the heater controls off and switch to a position that engages the compressor you can feel it kick in but wont know till I get home and get the chance to drive it.
          Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

I vote for the AC compressor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Got it figured out it was the A/C compressor so looks like I have nothing to worry about and I need to stop looking for things to be bad. Took it down the road set cruise at 70 with controls off and no problem set to HI-LO and felt it kick in and noticed it several times over the next few miles. Turned around and came home with it on vent and never felt it once so I guess im all good.

Comment

3.73 gears will prob fix it lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  3.73 gears will prob fix it lol
                  because ill be spinning 3500 rpm at 65 instead of 2500ish lol?
                  Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

actually around 2200 at 65 in overdrive

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Looks like I got a lil too excited unfortunately it wasnt the A/C compressor. I had to go on about a 60 mile trip after work today and it was fairly warm so I had the heat off and it still did it every now and then. When I got home I found out the parking brake switch vac line was leaking so I plugged it no leaks coming from the cruise dump valve and no other vacuum leaks that I can determine. I talked to a guy at the local auto parts store who told me to spray carb cleaner around the throttle body, egr spacer and where the upper intake bolts to the lower and no leaks there. He also told me to take off the IAC separate it into two halves (which ive done b4 to clean it) and to hook it to a 9v battery and see if it opens and closes quickly if its slow or stuck it may be the problem. The only thing I see wrong with this is I thought an IAC problem wouldnt matter whilst cruising though I could be wrong. Other than this anyone have any other ideas. I am determined to eventually get to the bottom of this.

Comment

Ok so maybe I did manage to fix every other problem that this car has had but this one is really really pissing me off and leaving me feeling helpless. I have replace every thing on this damn car except the tps and IAC. This is a very slight miss barely at all only at 65 and above equal with or w/o cruise set and I have no vacuum leaks anywhere. Sometimes it is slight and once and a while sometimes it is sudden and happens several times very quickly. I've talked to several ppl today who all have told me it has to be some or another solenoid or sensor that tell the torque converter when to lock and that its not doing so. But as far as I can find there is no such thing on the AOD just the TV cable and that is all. If I am wrong plz correct me but regardless of what it is going to cost me I wanna get this fixed. One very important thing I forgot is it will not do it in drive only in overdrive
                        Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-22-2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

A/C will cycle on and off even if you don't have it engaged.
                          sigpic

Comment

Even with the heat and air completely off? If so I guess thats still possible but it just doenst seem right

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                              A/C will cycle on and off even if you don't have it engaged.
                              false. It will cycle in AC, Hi/Lo, Defrost, MIX. Floor, Vent, and OFF it will not cycle.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X