No announcement yet.

65mph+ miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im currently blaming the tps though that may not be the problem either but I have a feeling the guy at the parts store was full of it when he said my IAC may be affecting driving at speeds of 65
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Ok at this point im just gonna blame the pip sensor and im throwing down $85 for a new dizzy. Local shop wants $25 to change dizzy and check timing or $200 to replace pip sensor alone cuz its such a pain. This morning I checked all my egr stuff its all good checked all plug wires and connection to coil. Checked every electrical connection I could find and checked the tps and everything was good. The only other things I can possibly think of are the coolant temp sensor (theres two right) and air temp sensor. Also I hooked the IAC up to a 9volt battery and it opened and closed but not very far maybe a 1/32 of an inch how far is thing supposed to open. The main reason im thinking pip sensor is because of the problem I had several months ago where it wanted to die when the engine was warm at the time I replaced the TFI and it did it once again after that but its been at least a month and a half since i had that problem.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

prolly the PIP. like i said in another post. i replaced the one in my brothers town car in august. it was better to do this than buy a new dizzy, since i have a press a work. it only lasted till novemeber. i thought it had to be the TFI, cause it was a used one i had. still would not run. had to replace the dizzy, so he could get the car home from work, cause it would not run at all. i thought there was no way it could be the pip. i was wrong lol. so dont rule out certain parts. so now, i keep checking the yards for low milage panthers for ECMs and distributors. i rather trust a used electrical par, than a new one now adays.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Well I went in to town to order a dizzy and at first the manager blatantly refused (because thats always good for business). Then he asked me if I had checked my IAC I told him I hooked it to a 9v battery and it opened about 1/32 of an inch. He says thats not for enough and that its hanging up and possibly causing trouble under load like a vacuum leak. So I had him order a motorcraft one he said it will be in tomorrow and for $60 I figure what the hell I might as well.

Comment

Does it seem at all odd that if I drive 75 this goes away its like it just in that rpm range of 65-70 w'ell see what happens when I put on the new IAC though I doubt that could possibly have anything to do with it.

Comment

maybe you have something else going on? like an imballanced wheel or drive shaft? hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                maybe you have something else going on? like an imballanced wheel or drive shaft? hard to say.
                Wouldnt that be constant though rather than every once in awhile?

Comment

You said it's only OD, never in D. That points to the transmission, right? If it was an engine miss, I'd expect you'd see the same behavior in D at whatever RPM it usually happens at. In D that might be 45mph instead of 65.

OK, so if this NEVER happens in D, you said maybe the torque converter lockup is misbehaving? I think that's a good question. Do you have a tach available while driving? If you have a tach and the RPMs bounced up during the "miss" that would likely be a torque converter unlock, or the transmission slipped. Something slipped anyway. On the bright side you could declare the engine healthy.

All I want for xmas is a tach. And a temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and volt gauge. Please sir, may I monitor the vital signs of my car?
                  1985 Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
                  Get It ==G|== Together

Comment

i missed the part about over drive. you know these cars have their own quirks, while being in OD right? if the engine performs how it should in D, i would not loose too much sleep over it. but then again, i could be wrong lol.

Comment

my 88 does that too. if you really haul ass, you can't tell (over 70 with me). getting the engine RPMs up a bit will prevent the compressor turn on was kicking as much. when you're at low rpm cruise, you will feel it more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

All of this is with the atc in the off position and of it is a trans issue then im really up a creek. In OD it does it between 65 and 75 but when its cold it will do it on acceleration all the time and its getting worse daily. Once it warms up it will never do it under 65 or over 75. In D it doesnt do it at all. Im wondering if its got anything to do with the fact that the po jerry rigged the tv cable and I havent had it fixed because I cant do it myself and shops around here want $375 just to put one on. There trying to tell me its a 4-5 hour job.

Comment

Originally posted by jpc View Post
                          You said it's only OD, never in D. That points to the transmission, right? If it was an engine miss, I'd expect you'd see the same behavior in D at whatever RPM it usually happens at. In D that might be 45mph instead of 65.

OK, so if this NEVER happens in D, you said maybe the torque converter lockup is misbehaving? I think that's a good question. Do you have a tach available while driving? If you have a tach and the RPMs bounced up during the "miss" that would likely be a torque converter unlock, or the transmission slipped. Something slipped anyway. On the bright side you could declare the engine healthy.

All I want for xmas is a tach. And a temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and volt gauge. Please sir, may I monitor the vital signs of my car?
                          It actually feels like the rpms are dropping almost like you killed the spark then turned it back on real quick thats why I think its the pip cuz the tfi is brand new. And like I said I had random stalling on a hot engine several months ago but it fixed itself. So I feel this may be traceable back to that. Ive got a mechanic gonna take a look at it for free and if he doesnt find anything im gonna try to ignore it till it gets worse or goes away. Auto parts store was full of shit new IAC didnt do anything and they still dont wanna order me a dizzy so I wont be shopping there anymore. Thank god theres a better one a few more miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                            and they still don't wanna order me a dizzy...
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

never heard of a place that wasn't completely happy to take your money and sell you any part you want to pay for.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Have you checked the codes? The ECU should report code 14 for a PIP issue.

The Actron code reader is convenient. There are no wires to mess with. You can see its LED from behind the wheel for the WOT part of the KOER test. Get yourself a xmas present

Time to check the computer!
                                1985 Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
                                Get It ==G|== Together

Comment

Working...
                                X