Refurbishing warning chime module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurbishing warning chime module

The warning chime in my 1990 Grand Marquis slowly became feint to the point where it could barely be heard and as a result I've left the lights on a handful of times and drained my battery so I had to get to the bottom of it

I located the chime module under the dash just above the accelerator held on to a bracket by a single t15 torx screw. Googling the first number on a list of patent numbers brought up this website.

This guy explains (via pdf file) how to take apart the chime, scrape away the foam crap that compresses and falls apart over time and replace with hot glue. Pretty simple really. It was written for mustangs but other than the module being white where mine was black, everything was identical.

I thought I'd pass it on for reference.

Cool! FORDPARTSGIANT.COM still has it but it is over $56 so yeah - I'd try to fix it!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

lithdoc's 89 MGM LS has this problem, I was over there today and I couldn't even hear it but he said he could hear it really quiet.
      I suppose his car originally being an Arizona car the heat may have contributed to this problem occurring.
      I may swipe the module out of one of my cars (since I have it disconnected in both), trade for his and try this out.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I consider the slow and graceful death a bonus. Door dingalings irk the hell out of me. Mine was installed into the circular file years ago after it decided to talk to me for 30 minutes while driving somewhere for an "encounter" one evening.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I consider the slow and graceful death a bonus. Door dingalings irk the hell out of me. Mine was installed into the circular file years ago after it decided to talk to me for 30 minutes while driving somewhere for an "encounter" one evening.
          Haha yes! I hate the thing too. I had it disconnected in my 89 for years so one of the first things I did when I got my 91 was disconnect the damn thing.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Damn 'chime' on my old 98 'Burb is worse. Sounds like the 'bell' that announces time to change classes.
            95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
            96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
            77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
            98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
            90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Originally posted by alchemist View Post
              Damn 'chime' on my old 98 'Burb is worse. Sounds like the 'bell' that announces time to change classes.
              If you can find an old box caprice the chime will swap right in. The buzzer in my '96 c series was annoying with just the buzz.

'93 T-bird
              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
              '88 Mark VII
              '86 CV

Comment

I fixed one of these in a tempo at work using a large rubber o-ring to space the thin metal plate away from the magnet. The customer actually had us unplug it at his next oil change because it was 'way too loud' lol... I wonder if using a smaller diameter o-ring would have muffled it some...
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I ran a small piece of weather-stripping around the outside edge of the disc on mine. Sounds like it did 10 years ago.
                  1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                    lithdoc's 89 MGM LS has this problem, I was over there today and I couldn't even hear it but he said he could hear it really quiet.
                    I suppose his car originally being an Arizona car the heat may have contributed to this problem occurring.
                    I may swipe the module out of one of my cars (since I have it disconnected in both), trade for his and try this out.
                    Ashley's doesn't work and if it's all the same to you, lets trade! They're not obnoxious like the buzzer in the F150. "EEEEEEEEEE"
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Mine doesn't chime at all, so I'll give it a shot. I might try with a junk yard donor instead

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Ashley's doesn't work and if it's all the same to you, lets trade! They're not obnoxious like the buzzer in the F150. "EEEEEEEEEE"
                        I think lithdoc ended up getting a junkyard chime module, or maybe he fixed his, I don't quite remember what he did. Either way I still have my chime module in my 91 MGM that you can have on the 13th, I just have to remember to remove it.
                        I suppose I should plug it back in to see if it still works since it has been unplugged for 2.5 years.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I removed my chime for a buzzer from a mustang. Me likey the 80's annoying goodness.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            I think lithdoc ended up getting a junkyard chime module, or maybe he fixed his, I don't quite remember what he did. Either way I still have my chime module in my 91 MGM that you can have on the 13th, I just have to remember to remove it.
                            I suppose I should plug it back in to see if it still works since it has been unplugged for 2.5 years.
                            We got two or three from the yards last year. One for my '85 which was aftermarket deal that didn't sound the same so I trashed it and a few others that didn't work so I just figured it wasn't worth the gamble anymore. Surprised the one in my '88 works perfect. Waiting for it to die haha.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            I removed my chime for a buzzer from a mustang. Me likey the 80's annoying goodness.
                            I gotta admit, I like it on the bummy truck (Which if anyone wants it's going for best offer now) but with the cars I like the tone style, I consider it like a uplevel option type deal.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                            X