Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie needs alittle help....

good morning,
    this is officially my first of many post to come...
    After searching and reading some of the post and such..I've come to see that there is a lot of knowledgable individuals on this site and i would like to say thank you in advance for any help, options or suggestions, that anyone may give me..
    I have some knowledge to offer, mainly about Lincoln Mark VII's..which over the years i have had 12 of them...and if I can help I will..

2 days ago i snapped the T-5 in my 1990 Mark VII...Unfortunitly im not in a position to purchase or rebuild another one and so...this is how I have aqquired a 1992 Grand Marquis GS with 22,000 original miles for 600.00 and a six pack.
    I have known several people/friends who have owned these cars , but i never even driven one before..My new (to me) Marq had been sitting for 4yrs..and after doing all the necessary things one would do to a car sitting so long..I Hammered the starter and she came to life....
    Everything was good up until the moment I tried to back it out of the gated fence...The stupid idiot who installed the fence built it around the car with not enough room for me to get it out...So Just Like any other aggrivated car nut would have done , i cut down the fence with a chainsaw. .After the car was out and the fence re-installed, that was when i noticed the only issue with my new car..
    The rear brake line going from the driverside to the pass..side, in between the fuel tank and the trunk, must have dryrotted and split.. I cant see the split but it pours out when the brake is applied..the line ,from what i can see is rubber.

Now the Questions, Are there any fittings in between the cross over ? ..Does anyone have a diagram of the brake system ? ( it is non-ABS ). Can i cut the brakeline on both sides, install a new line, reconnect and bleed ?

thanks, have a good day

If its a rubber line leaking, you can buy a complete replacement from the fitting end to the other fitting end.
    It sounds like you are describing the steel line though, if it runs up along the tank somewhere hard to see. Those rust and rot to make leaks more commonly than Ive heard of a rubber line springing a leak (none that I know of).
    You can buy steel line in bulk, and yes you can cut & patch in pieces, if you flare the ends and use union fittings.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

yea what he said. get a good flaring kit and flare away. and bleed and make sure you have no leaks. i did it may of times.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

22,000 miles? HOLY HELL!!!!
        im jealous.

welcome aboard!!
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Pics???
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            yea what he said. get a good flaring kit and flare away. and bleed and make sure you have no leaks. i did it may of times.
            Emphasis on GOOD flaring kit. Otherwise you may still find yourself resorting to compression fittings and sneaking furtive looks over your shoulder to make sure Gadget-mang here isn't watching.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

double flaring kit

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Whoops, important point to have left out! Though, if a good deal can be found on a high quality single flare kit (one where the clamping block doesn't slip like both of mine do), a set of double-flare mandrels can be had from Summit Racing for $6.

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                  Pics???
                  +1. i wanna see!!
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

good morning,
                    pics upon request...heres the "story"..a girl i know had the car since 2006..She got it from her grandfather who lived in the city...she told me she had hit a park car and got nervous and parked it and hasnt driven it since..I have known her for 4yrs and never even knew she had it until she knew i needed a car...it needs alittle help, nothing crazy..the rear brake line, driver rear tailight, pass front corner marker and yesterday while doing 45 mph the throttle bushing decided to crumble on me, the car continued at that speed with no way to stop it, scared the shit out of me!!..i picked up the brass one with the cotterpin and all is well.. i havent ran any seafoam thru her yet, but she runs really good..Im begining to really dig this car..Im very happy to have bought her... anyway here are a couple of pics prior to cleaning,..

thanks for the welcome
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Emphasis on GOOD flaring kit. Otherwise you may still find yourself resorting to compression fittings and sneaking furtive looks over your shoulder to make sure Gadget-mang here isn't watching.

one that works. Thats all i care about.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                      double flaring kit
                      werd.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

freakin awesome!
                        Lets Go Pens!

Comment

i see you're from NY. where abouts?
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

good evening, i gotta say ...i bought this car because i trashed my 5 speed mark VII and i was in desperate need of a car...BUT im really starting to dig this ride..Its a really smooth ride..the reg. on the driver front and rear window stopped working, i need shocks , but other then that and some minor cosmetic issues,,,im really begining to love this car...

by the way im in Brooklyn

Comment

Blue on Blue...Sweet!!!
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X