New Guy With Question????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy With Question????

On my 89 Marquis GS Every time I hit the horn it blows the fuse and the horn, lighter and cruise quit working. Can anyone help me with this problem?? Please it will be greatly appreciated.

hmmm well i would pop the cover off the wheel and see if it is misswired or somethign sounds like somethign is shorting out, check evrything on that circuit
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

those horns can short out internally and blow the fuse - does only one or any of the horns blow at all before the fuse pops?
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Horn Problem

Well until last week one horn would bowq then pop the fuse. Now neither of them are working. I can get a couple of others from my cousin at the parts store, I'll try that first. Thanks Guys

Comment

horn

I would try it with the horn unplugged to see if it blows a fuse that way.

Comment

Another thing to check is the clockspring in the steering column... it is basically a spring loaded wheel with a flat ribbon cable (Like the flat cables inside of a computer) spooled up on it that has about 2-4 circuits in it... So when you turn the wheel, it un spools and respools itself. One of the circuits in it is the horn circuit... My cable went bad, and had come apart, and had a wire hanging out of it... The problem with that at least on my car, is the wire hanging out was to the airbag circuit... That could have been a REAL problem! I found it when I was installing the leather steering wheel I got with the airbag... So, take the steering wheel off carefully and check the clock spring, and other connections / contacts... I lucked out and got a brand new clockspring out of the car that was hit in the front, popped the airbag, (the 90 - 91's have airbags) So they put a new clockspring and airbag in the car... Then the engine siezed since the body shop didn't notice the oil pan had a crease in it, with a crack... oil leaked out of the engine... bye bye engine...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
            Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

89 doesn't have a clockspring. Its got slip rings with brushes on the back of the steering wheel. The wiring under the horn button can get damaged though. If someone installed it wrong and twisted the wiring up, or left a foil pack of pot under there it might be shorted.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

this may be silly, but make sure the ashtry hasnt piched the wire, grounding it closing the circut, i had that happen to me, it knocked out two circuts, the horn and also the marker lamps. prolly not it, but look non the less for pinched wires....
                Last edited by MarC-MarQ; 11-19-2009, 06:52 PM. Reason: rewording
                sigpic 1994 Lincoln TC executive

Comment

this happened to me i checked everything and everything was fine. But then i looked inside the socket where you push in the lighter and there was a screw inside it cause the fuse to pop whenever i blow the horn or use the lighter

Comment

Working...
                  X