Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 Town Car window motor removal and install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 Town Car window motor removal and install?

Hello Everyone - is there a tutorial available on how to remove the window motor on these aero/whale cars? I have newly purchased 96 Town Car that needs 3 of the motor bushings replaced...everything I see online says to remove the whole regulator assembly but I never had to do that on my 84 wagon? But I did have to drill holes to access the bolts holding in the motor...

Thanks for the help!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

You don't have to remove the regulator, thats crazy! I've done so many of these I've lost count.
    Once you take the door panel off and then peel back the weather shield as needed. You'll see three gold colored torx head bolts ( in a
    triangle pattern) opposite the motor, they face out. You don't have to drill any access holes, they are out in the open.
    remove these and the motor will/should fall into your hand inside the door.
    If it doesn't you have to work it off the regulator spool, use a screw driver, that works well for me.
    Make sure you don't pull the spool away from the regulator and the cable unwinds. If that happens you will have to remove and replace the regulator.
    Putting it back is just a matter sliding the spool back into the motor and lining up the holes, simple.
    It's better to replace those plastic bushings with nuts, that way you only do this once.

Comment

I just dove into one of the rear doors...someone has already replaced the regulator I think....regular nuts and bolts holding everything in. I got the motor out because the cable was broken on one side...otherwise I have no idea how I would have done this without drilling access holes. The three gold torx bolts were hidden and hold the motor, cable spool and the mounting bracket all together. I removed the hardware holding the motor bracket to the door panel. If I get lucky and the other two don't need new regulators I have no idea how to get the motors out without drilling as the gold torx bolts are not accessible...any ideas? Thx!
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

I just dove into the other two door...factory fresh with intact regulators etc... still no visible gold torx...I would have to drill out access holes to get to them without removing. The regulator or drilling out the rivets that hold the window motor mounting brackets to the door panel. Just want to make sure I am correct before I start drilling the holes...seems like that would be easiest for the two motors not needing a regulator assy...thx!

Comment

Drill away! Towncars are a little different in stupid ways sometimes. You should/maybe see little dimples to set your drill bit in (use a 1/2" bit). If not, it's not a bad idea to pound dimples in with a center punch so your bit doesn't wander. If the hole is off too much it can be a pain. Just be sure not to pull the spool out of the regulator as mentioned before, I like to get both hands on it and use a big flat blade screwdriver to hold the spool in while you wiggle-twist-pull the motor away from it.

It helps to have a headlamp or someone to hold a light for you. I can do it with my eyes closed, but even after getting a look at what you are working with, you have to 'see' with your hands for most of the motor-from-regulator removal. You can't look at it if your arm is in the way, and you can't grab it if your face is in the way trying to look at it. This happens a lot working on cars... lol
          Last edited by 85crownHPP; 02-21-2014, 09:36 PM.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Sorry about that, I just assumed the TC was no different than a CV or GM.
            85crownHPP is right, proceed with confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
              Sorry about that, I just assumed the TC was no different than a CV or GM.
              85crownHPP is right, proceed with confidence.
              Thank you both for the replys - I will get after it! I thought about signing up and posting on the Lincoln board but the grandmarq.net guys always seem to have the answer!!

Comment

Working...
              X