Leaking tube from throttle body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking tube from throttle body

I have a tube leaking on the back of my throttle body on my 85 Merc Grand Marquis 5.0. I was told that it is fairly common. I was just wondering if anyone has any Ideas as to how I should go about fixing it. Should I try some JB weld? Should I just get it replaced ? Or should I try to block it off ? Do I need it for my car to run good ? Do I need it to be able to pass emissions ??
    sigpic

I guess you'll have to be a little bit more specific. Do you mean a vacuum line input, or something fuel related, or what?

If you can get a picture of the part you're talking about, that would help a lot.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

sounds like your talking about the smog tube that feeds the back of the cylinder heads?
      It doesnt have to be there, a few of us run with no smog parts at all. Not having it might fail you a visual inspection, but a few here have passed the sniffer test without it too.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I'm not sure what the leak is exactly coming from. All I know is it sounds like an exaust leak/ticking type of sound. coming from the very top of my engine & near the back. Like directly under my air filter.
        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you mean the pipe that bolts to the back of the heads for the air injection system. They rot and make a similar sound. Not that big of a deal, but the sound is irritating. I'd remove it and plug the ports off with bolts, or cut apart the tube and flip the plates backwards to use as blockoffs. If you need to pinpoint the sound, use a piece of hose (garden, heater hose, etc) and hold one end to your ear. Move the other end around, and you'll be able to locate the exact source of the noise.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X