spout connectors ... what what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spout connectors ... what what?

I know of and understand the spout connector near the distributor that is used for timing purposes. However, I've found two more spout connector locations on my '90 and '91. I can't find them on my '88, though.

*See red boxes in pic for locations* One is above the brake booster. '90 has a spout plugged in, '91 does not. Second one is wired next to the EEC test ports. Neither car has the spout here.

Any idea as to what the purpose of these are and could they cause the vehicle to run better/worse?
    Last edited by monterey1962; 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM.

Screwiness! I thought the spOUT connector was always right next to the distributor so it's easy to find.

All I know about it is that you pull it out when you set the base timing and then plug it back in - trying to set the timing with it in place is said to cause the computer to retard timing by as much as you advanced it mechanically.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I've seen em on newer boxes too. What they do however I do not know. I know on my 4.6 if I pull mine it retards it 4 degrees, but I also have DIS. I too am curious.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Screwiness! I thought the spOUT connector was always right next to the distributor so it's easy to find.
        It is on my '90/'91, but these two are extras with questionable purposes.

Comment

I've seen them on older boxes too, but I haven't a clue what its for. I think my 86 might have the one by the wiper motor, and I want to say Tom's 87 has one somewhere too. I'm sort of curious if it may be some sort of high altitude jumper that cuts the timing a bit. My other theory is that its an interface connector for the optional anti-theft option. The models without anti-theft have a jumper in the starter relay circuit, the ones with anti-theft go through a start interrupt relay.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The anti-theft theory could make some sense, as that's right where the wiring is that goes to the neutral safety switch.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

that only explains one, what the other might be, I don't know
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ain't got neither, and my car being a Lincoln has all sorts of wiring (whether used or not) you can imagine and then some.

Comment

i got em in the 91 too... odd little buggers. Ill check my evtm when i get a chance
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

the spout connector on the DS inner fender is a test port for the fuel pump. that should be open, with no plug in it. when you short the connection, the fuel pump should activate.

If I remember correctly, the connector on the firewall near the wiper motor had something to with ABS on the town cars, but I need to dig my reference manuals to confirm that. Ford started integrating standard wire harnesses on the 90/91 cars
                    My 89 car (8/89 build date) has a lot of 90 model parts on it, it has the connector on the firewall.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

The SPOUT connector by the distributor is for setting the base ignition timingf. It serves the same purpose as disconnecting the vacuum advance hose on older style distributors. You eake out the connector, set your timing, and then reinstall the connector.

Comment

My car has eight on the engine harness too... plugged into these wierd cylinder shaped thingies....
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I can't view the attachment. Is a spout connector a gray connector (with 4 pins, I think)? I have an unused gray connector up by the wiper motor, and another on the DS inner fender. They look the same, and I was wondering what they were when I was under my hood the other day. I never noticed them on my injected burnout car, but they are just kind of hanging there on my P72.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                          X