What size throttle body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size throttle body?

Ok, since I have done the H.O. conversion on my 91... I need to know which size bore would be good for my Crown Vic... The selections at Summit racing is 65 MM - 70 MM - and 75 MM. I was trying to get one from Scott, but I can't seem to get a hold of him, So I am just going to get one from Summit, as I can get a throttle body with a removable throttle "bellcrank" that I can un-bolt, turn around, and re-attach it... I just need to see which one I should get.... The car has duals, is a H.O. engine, but stock other than that... (I.E., no wild cams or anything!) So what does everyone think? I can get both the throttle body and EGR plate for about $200.00 for any of those sizes in satin finish. I just need to get this done so I can get the idle to straighten out, and I can set the timing where it is supposed to be. Any help would be appreciated...

(I know more airflow is always better, but I am afraid that too much will make it run just as bad)

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

stock HO 60mm should be fine if you're running a stock HO engine. The lower intake and the heads are the choke point, not the throttle body. Trouble is, you need a donor lopo throttle body for the lever.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

with a removable throttle "bellcrank" that I can un-bolt, turn around, and re-attach it
      Gadget... the throttle body from Summit can be removed, and turned around, as the bellcrank is "bolted" on the the shaft... Some threadloc compound, and your good to go... That is the main reason I am going with the Summit throttle body.... Only thing that may change that is if a friend of mine here locally has one.. He owns a Mustang parts place, and has alot of used parts.. I'm going by there tommorow and see if he has any of the H.O. throttle bodies...

So if he doesn't have one, I guess I will go with the closest size, the 65MM... I just didn't want to go too small, or too big!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

I'm not sure you can just flip them though. Depends how the throttle stop is set up, and exactly how the linkage is designed. I've never seen one up close though, so I suppose its possible that it would work. I've only ever done this using stock parts and welding the lopo throttle lever onto the new throttle body.

Is your EGR spacer bored out to mate with a larger throttle body, or are you running a stock size one? Also, is the upper intake the HO unit, or the original?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just measure the opening on the intake and whatever size the inlet is get the same size TB

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

I'm going to buy the new egr spacer plate to match with the throttle body I get. The upper plenum is the stock upper, not the H.O. which Scott told me would work fine. I am trying to make this look as stock as possible, since I show the car at shows as a police package car. I don't want it to look modified as far as the upper plenum goes... Thats why I'm not using the H.O. intake and plenum. The main reason for the throttle body swap is to get it to idle right... (Scott told me that is why I am having problems with it idling correctly)

Tom...

Comment

Tom, Scott just keeps forgetting to get back with you on that, ya know, old age and stuff (man am I gonna get my ass kicked for that one)... He has a throttle body for ya, but there's no bored-out spacer to go with it, which is something you'll run into even with the Summit throttle bodies - it's the EGR spacer that the bracket that holds the cables bolts up to, and HO engines have the wrong spacer for our applications, you'll have to have a non-HO EGR spacer (such as your old one) bored out by a machine shop so it matches the HO throttle body. We have a non-HO spacer here we can send you along with the throttle body so you can have that one machined and you can still use your car in the mean time... let me know.

Comment

That would be fine... just let me know how much and where to send the $$$ to... I just want to get this thing on so the idle will settle down... So the EGR plates from summit would't work? They look like mine, except with a larger bore obviously....

Comment

The HO upper intake looks identical to the stock one... just put the stock 'EFI 5.0" plate back on and no one will know the difference. Plus, the car will go faster!!!
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
                    That would be fine... just let me know how much and where to send the $$$ to... I just want to get this thing on so the idle will settle down... So the EGR plates from summit would't work? They look like mine, except with a larger bore obviously....
                    the EGR plate from summit wouldn't work UNLESS it looks absolutely IDENTICAL to your LOPO EGR plate besides the bore.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Agreed, the EGR spacer from Summit is more than likely intended for HO engines, which will not work in a Panther, well unless you use Mark VII throttle and cruise cables and a 3.8 Thunderbird TV cable for the AOD (which is how my Lincoln is set up). The EGR spacer for a Lightning truck has the bolts for both Panther and Mustang style cables, so one of those would work, but they are hard to find and often way overpriced.

Scott says $60 shipped for the throttle body and the EGR spacer - I'll have the throttle body modified and welded up and ready to bolt on and go, but like I mentioned you will have to have a local machine shop bore out the EGR spacer as we have no milling machine here and out shops are slow and quite steep in prices.

Comment

here is my H.O. upper with a lopo plaque on it looks just like the lopo intake

dont mind the mass air wires they are cleaned up and loomed now old pic LOL

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Working...
                        X