filler neck- disconnected at the cap/body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

filler neck- disconnected at the cap/body

I'm replacing my gas tank right now. I've taken out the bolts for the filler neck that are accessible from the body side (surrounding the gas cap), but there are 4 more that have the heads on the inside (ie. facing the gas tank) with metal tabs bent over them. What am I looking at there and how do I get this thing out? Or am I better off just futzing around with force and getting the tank and filler neck to disconnect, while the neck is still mounted to the car?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

pics help. I've never seen what you're talking about. The filler neck should be loose with just the 4 bolts around the cap removed. These 4 bolts should also be the only thing holding the rubber surrounds for the filler neck at the body panel. The should be able to slide down the neck now. basically just grab the neck and twist it back and forth as you pull it free of the tank. Sedans should have enough clearance to remove the neck without dropping the tank, but it makes it easier to drop the tank about 2-3 inches.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

what sly said........

Comment

I am an idiot and thought it went in towards the tank to be removed. Pulling it out through the fuel door resulted in co-worker laughter and a relatively easy removal.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Not an idiot, just ignorant. Ignorance just means you didn't know, and now you do! Everyone was ignorant about everything they know at one time.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Not me. I used to know it all. Then I got older.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

I just stared at it until I figured out how it all worked and then just pulled like a mule while twisting that bugger. There's not many things I can't figure out how the hell they way by just looking at it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Sorry didn't see this question until the pros addressed it. The inside the quarter bolts hold the rubber spill shield and don't need to be removed to remove the filler neck. Spray a bit of silicon or WD on it and pull the neck out through the filler door. It may help to have someone twist the neck where the neck meets the tank as you pull it out. My necks where rusty inside and I had a few pin-holes to repair. Good luck!

Comment

And don't forget to replace the filler neck grommet. It's probably old, cracked and hard and likely to leak if you try to re-use it.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
                    And don't forget to replace the filler neck grommet. It's probably old, cracked and hard and likely to leak if you try to re-use it.
                    +1 needed

Comment

Rockauto gave me the wrong tank straps, so now I get to find tank straps for a 351W crown vic (bigger tank). I'm sure my local parts store will have that in stock.

The filler grommet looks good, and given that some of the lines were replaced I think it may have been replaced too, but if there's any cracking I'll go hunting for one of those too.

Good tip on the filler rotting from the inside, I'll look at that.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I've already forgotten more than I used to know...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                        X