bad knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad knock

this is in regards to my dads 85 colonypark(carbed 302)i jus finnished doin the intake manifold gaskets cuz it was leaking anti-freeze and know that ive put it all togetter it fired right up and it runs nice and all but its knocking like a bastard from the pasenger side head at the back. i say right away a valve or lifter, but it ran before i took it apart, and only the rocker covers and dist and intake came off... :bs:

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Didn't bend one of the pushrods or anything right? Did the valve cover get bent causing the rocker arm to hit it perhaps ? Sure its not a cracked thermactor pipe to the back of the heads or a bad one-way valve in the air pipe?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

put a screwdriver to your ear and find wherer the sound is coming from

Comment

Re: bad knock

Originally posted by marquisman
        this is in regards to my dads 85 colonypark(carbed 302)i jus finnished doin the intake manifold gaskets cuz it was leaking anti-freeze and know that ive put it all togetter it fired right up and it runs nice and all but its knocking like a bastard from the pasenger side head at the back. i say right away a valve or lifter, but it ran before i took it apart, and only the rocker covers and dist and intake came off... :bs:

you changed the oil before you started the motor, right? try using a thicker grade of oil and maybe some lucas oil treatment.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Re: bad knock

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
          Originally posted by marquisman

you changed the oil before you started the motor, right? try using a thicker grade of oil and maybe some lucas oil treatment.

The coolant got inside the motor, possibly into the main or rod bearings. I know of a few engines that spun a bearing shortly after an Intake coolant leak.
          2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
          2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

i changed the oild and the coolant leak was external. im gonna pull the rocker covers tomorrow...at least i had success with the water pump in the mark7(knock on wood, lol)

Comment

Best of luck, I hope its something small!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I 2nd the idea of an exhaust leak at the head smog tube - they can sound like a lifter/valve tick
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                  I 2nd the idea of an exhaust leak at the head smog tube - they can sound like a lifter/valve tick
                  Shit good idea...does the knock get louder if you tap the throttle? If so then and exhaust leak may be the case.
                  Nick
                  88 Colony Park LS
                  G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                  Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

it doesent get louder, but it does become faster.

Comment

i inspected the valve train and everything is runnin right, but i re-torqued the rockers and its better, but still clicks...so i think im gonna get some lucas cuz i think its a lifter.

Comment

Working...
                      X