a little help on tire sizes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a little help on tire sizes...

i have a question.... if i have 15 by 7 inch wheels, can i get a wider tire than stock? how wide is a stock tire anyway? i want to go about an inch or two wider.

stock is usually 215/70-15 for a passenger car, 225/70-15 for a police cruiser. On a 6.5" wide rim I've run 255/60-15 tires, which is about inch or so wider than stock, on 7" rims I believe Tom (GMGT) ran 275/60-15 tires. Because you want wider tires I assume you're looking for more control on the road? I've had very good experience with the 245/60-15 tires mounted on 7" rims, car was stable and maneuvarable as hell. For the summer I'm thinking of getting some 8" rims and H-rated 255/50-15 tires, now that'll keep me nicely glued to the road

Comment

You don't want to go too terribly wide otherwise the tire will have a poor contact patch unless you run with low air pressure. 245-60-15 is probably about the biggest I'd go on a stock 7" wheel. I run a 225/60/16 H rated tire on my car and I'm very pleased with the handling and traction.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

okay, so lets say i wanted my tires just an inch wider on stock turbine wheels... what size would they be? im not familiar with how tire sizes work how about two inches wider?

Comment

Easy thing to do is go to tirerack.com and look at tire specs. They have all the info on what tire fits on what wheel and stuff. A 225/70 or a 235/60 would be a decent size, but personally, a stock 215 will handle better on a 7" wide wheel, better than a 225 on a 6.5" wheel.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by merkman86
            okay, so lets say i wanted my tires just an inch wider on stock turbine wheels... what size would they be? im not familiar with how tire sizes work how about two inches wider?
            235/60-15 will fit real nice, and also handle much better than stock. You don't want to go much wider than that, cause as Thain said you'll get sidewall flex, crappy wear, and it's overall unsafe. Here's a pic of my car right after I bought it, it's got 215/70-15 tires in the front and 235/60-15s in the rear:

Comment

two inches wider is asking for a lot. If you have a 7" wide wheel, Id get 245/60/15 and be done, you'll be happy with them.
              Stock turbines are 6.5" wide and Id put 235/60 on those. lemme dig up a pic...
              Only thing 70 profile tires are good for is filling up wheel well space
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

this is 235/60/15 front and 235/70/15 rear (fresh variable waggin springs in the rear)

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 02-15-2007, 05:28 AM.
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Know this as well, i don't know where you are, but if it rains a lot, do not get wider than 245s. I drive withe 245/60 front, and 255/60 rear, but my wheels are 8.5" wide. I have noticed a significant increase in the amount of hydroplaning that happens at speed. But that's just a price you pay.
                  Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 02-15-2007, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                    Know this as well, i don't know where you are, but if it rains a lot, do not get wider than 245s. I drive withe 245/60 front, and 255/60 rear, but my wheels are 835" wide. I have noticed a significant increase in the amount of hydroplaning that happens at speed. But that's just a price you pay.
                    Thats the reason i wont drive the 85 in the rain. 165s up front and 325s in the back +rain = High clench factor.
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

LOL, I ran bald autocross tires without any isses in the rain....Currently run 255's without any issues in the rain. You two have tires that don't work well in the rain. The drag radials are a given for poor wet performance.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

the used, slightly dry rotten 5/32" tread goodyear eagle RSA's I had had excellent wet traction. Almost as good as dry... but I didnt push it real hard when dry either.
                        sigpic

Comment

235/70 -15 all the way around, on stock wheels. Handles good in the rain or dry road. Don't ask about snow!
                          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

I never have a problem with my 10.50 in the rain. EVER. But my tires are more suited for wet weather performance.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                              LOL, I ran bald autocross tires without any isses in the rain....Currently run 255's without any issues in the rain. You two have tires that don't work well in the rain. The drag radials are a given for poor wet performance.

You also have an extra 400lbs on your rear tires. Those of us with base model light panthers have a little weight issue in the rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X