Sway Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway Bars

I have a front and rear Addco sway bar on the way. What should I know about installation and results that I should expect?

Also, it's been suggested to me to get new end links while I was at it. Could someone explain that a little further, as well, please?

end links are what holds the bar in place up front. new links w new bushings will hold it firmer, stiffer, better.

The addeco rear bar mounts differnt that stock evidently so I cant help ya there
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My main experience with endlinks has been replacing old ones that are rusted out and break when you try to remove them. They're basically just bolts with little sleeves in the middle separating two washer-bushing-component-bushing-washer sequences where "component" is the swaybar on one end and the lower control arm on the other. A lot of people like to use polyurethene bushings to lessen deflection; plain poly bushings are now often available at your local AutoZone or PartsAmerica outlet, and Performance Suspension Technologies has a graphite-impregnated polyurethene bushing called Polygraphite that they claim never needs to be lubricated.

The best bushing for maximum performance is a spherical bushing called a Heim joint. Some cars like my buddy's '98 Eclipse GS-T actually used them from the factory. Our stock rubber bushings are theoretically far inferior but aid in providing a nice, cushy ride.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Our stock rubber bushings are theoretically far inferior but aid in providing a nice, cushy ride.
        True, however a good set of poly bushings (like ENS) when tightened properly will actually hold yer control arms up and act against the spring when jacking up one side of the car. Poly is good, every single rubber component in my Townie's front end (down to the bj boots) has been replaced with poly.

Comment

swaybars with bushings on them.

you can see the endlink here.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
            True, however a good set of poly bushings (like ENS) when tightened properly will actually hold yer control arms up and act against the spring when jacking up one side of the car. Poly is good, every single rubber component in my Townie's front end (down to the bj boots) has been replaced with poly.
            Yep. One guess what I've got on the front of the Mercury! I haven't gotten ambitious enough to yank the contorl arm bushings, though.

I've thought about experimenting with Heim joints, but so far I'm not quite up to randomly drilling holes in my control arms.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Is this for the 84 or the 03? The endlink setups will be totally different. Not even sure what an 03 has up front, but the 84 looks like the pics above.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't know how much different the 03' Marauder and GM are for the front swaybar, but see if this helps any...

Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

This is for the '03, forgot to mention that.

Thanks for that link, HwyCruiser.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2007, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                    ES is a waste of money when 80% of the stock replacements you can get at Advance and Autozone are poly... Less than half the price of ES and the exact same part.

And technically, the rubber does the exact same as you described, it just deflects more.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      ES is a waste of money when 80% of the stock replacements you can get at Advance and Autozone are poly... Less than half the price of ES and the exact same part.
                      The ENS kit was around $60 IIRC, and it came with everything including the spring insulators, sure I could have pieced a set myself but it's end up about the same, well maybe like $10 less - at least with the ENS kit I know what I'm getting, and also don't have to beat shells in/out of control arms.

Comment

I was talking about the endlinks and swaybar bushings. That stuff is the same. Not much choice for the control arm stuff though. I'm running ES in mine also.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Sway bars both installed as of yesterday. It rained today, so the roads were still wet. I wasn't able to drive as spirited as I'd have liked, but I did manage a couple 70+ mph onramps, and could tell a slight difference. I'm happy with everything.

Comment

Slight!!!??? After mine went on I bout shit myself.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I didn't really want to push it too much, since it was wet out. My car already handled great since I put those 18s and stickier tires on.

Comment

Working...
                              X