Big brakes for 91 merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big brakes for 91 merc

I want to do the big brake setup on my 91 merc.

Now for the rear, i need all the parts ouf of a 92 such as the calipers, rotors, caliper brakets, anti moan brakets...any thing else??

what do i need for the front?

well what year do i need to get it from?

i know i need the spindles, calipers, rotors.....

any thing else? upper or lower control arms? ball joints???

also for the rear sway bar what year do i use one out of?

anything else i might need let me know.

SS brake lines...

thanks

You got it for the back basically. Pop the axles off a donor car, and pull the complete backing plate assembly. Some work has to be done with the lines, either using the stock over-axle line with mods and rear hoses from an ABS car, or you can modify the lines on the frame and abandon the existing center brake hose and over-axle line. With this setup you use non-abs hoses and run a line from left to right side. Your choice.

You will also need some creativity for parking brake cables. The current gig involves 90s Grand Marq rear cables, and some mods to fasten it to the stock front cable. I do want to look into the idea of changing out the front cable to the one for a newer car to make it fit together nicer, but I have no idea if thats going to be possible. Your 91 should have the same parking brake assembly, so you're probably in better shape for doing it that way.

Front parts list is as follows
    lower control arm: original, or any 79-2002
    lower balljoint: 96-02
    spindle: 96-02
    hub bearing: 98-02
    caliper bracket: 98-02
    caliper: 98-02
    rotor: 98-02
    brake hose: 98-02 with ABS
    upper ball joint: your option, 2 diff types from 92-95, and another from 96-02. They both work.
    upper control arm: easiest, 92-95.

Theres also a metric to standard adapter you'll need to fasten the original steel brake line to the new hose. Should be available at any parts store that isn't retarded.

While all thats apart, I'd suggest new control arm bushings too. I've used energy suspension poly bushings on my car and they work nice. Cheaper than stock, easier to install. Just make sure you pay attention to what your upper control arms came from, as it will determine if you need police or non-police bushing sets. Difference is one of the upper control arm bushings is smaller in non-police for. wheee.

rear sway bar it depends what style you want. the box style you'd find on a box police car, it bolts to the lower control arm. you may need to drill 2 holes in your rear lower arms if they're not already there. If you want later model, I think you need brackets to hold it to the axle, and I don't really know what those endlinks attatch to up on the body.
    Last edited by gadget73; 10-22-2007, 11:34 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

for the rear i scrap those brakets....who cares if it moans in reverse they dont bolt up to the box rear otherwise i would use them......save all you can from the rear disc car....sometimes you can save the parking brake cables.....you need to get creative with cable hookup and hooking up the brake hoses

fronts you need

96-02 spindles
      98-02 hub bearings
      96-02 lower ball joints
      92-94 upper control arms
      92-94 upper ball joints
      i leave 95 out if it cause that was the changeover yr.....some 95's will have the spindle you need......midyear they changed the suspension
      98-02 caliper brackets
      98-02 calipers
      98-02 rotors
      98-02 brake hoses
      es bushing kit get for the 92-97 cars yes the listing is incorrect......theres 2 sets police and non police it really doesent matter which upper arms u get just be sure to get the kit for the right application.....dont waste your time with new rubber bushings......i did a bunch of mine and gadgets bushings in 04/05 and they are shot......it's 68 bucks iirc for the energy suspension kit.......8 replacement rubber bushings for the front end is over 100 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

awesome,thanks guys.

Comment

I thought it was the lower arm bushing that changes size for police??

Gilroy - Im almost ready to do my big brake swap... I have a "getting ready" thread in here and others to come as I progress
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Also, don't forget the 16" wheels!
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

HAHAHA yea it has lil 14" ones on it now

Comment

lower arms are the same up to 94 pete.......oh yea need 16" wheels also

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                  Also, don't forget the 16" wheels!
                  yeah that was an oversight lol. 15" wheels no fit.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Im hoping to be putting 17's or bigger on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X