Wheel and tire size again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel and tire size again

Hi, I know, there has been many of such questions, but I'am not totaly sure about this.
    I have 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park LS with stock turbine wheels. I would like buy new wheels, but I am not sure if they will fit on the car without any troubles. Are those in the link below ok? (rim width 9" or 8"). And then, can I use on them these tires without any problem: 235/55 R17?
    Thanks for any answer

sigpic

Suspension, Chassis, Drivetrain, Brakes. Everything to do with handling. Also includes transmission discussions.

That'll tell you what can fit and what won't.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

235 is a bit narrow for a 9", however, they will be fine on a 8" wheel.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Go 255's. They'll fit.
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Nathan in MN: thanks. According to this, it look that it could be fine

mrltd: great. And what about tire's profile, is it ok?

murphmobile2: is it not too much?
          sigpic

Comment

I have 255/70 on the rear on my stock turbines.
            That will be fine on an 8" wide wheel. Wether or not it will clear the front fender lips depends on your ride hight and spring stiffness...
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

245/50/17 is the optimal size for 17" tires on a grand marquis the diameter matches the closest to the stock diameter.......they are pricey tho, when i considered 17" i was looking at 255/50/17 and 235/55/17

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

or 255/50. That's a fairly common size, and fits an 8"or 9" wheel nicely- and it's 27" tall. The stock newer vics come with a 235 something 17. I'm pretty sure those are 7" wide wheels though.

Comment

85crownhpp, my dad put 245 70 15's on my stock turbines before giving my vic to me, and the damn things look like monster truck tires on there! It looks like the tops of the fender wells are sitting on them! Luckily they tuck into the wells pretty nicely...but they sure are ugly... JMO.
                  People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

new townies come with 225/60/17 and 235/60/17

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      or 255/50. That's a fairly common size, and fits an 8"or 9" wheel nicely- and it's 27" tall. The stock newer vics come with a 235 something 17. I'm pretty sure those are 7" wide wheels though.
                      i have the cheapest 255/50r17's i could find and they were $137 each for the nitto's
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

pfft.... I found them for much less than that.. 3 tires on tirerack from 109-114.

Kumho Ecsta SPT
                        Kumho ASX
                        Fuzion ZRi

Nevermind the fact I paid 180 or so each for the BFG's I put in my car...

Comment

price is not such big problem as the fact, that it is impossible to find some specific sizes of tires. I am from Czech Republic, EUROPE, and here are realy strange cars with strange tires on them))
                          sigpic

Comment

Gonna throw a question in here ... I need 8" x 15" Outlaw II's for the rear of the '88 so I can run 255/60's. The only option for that style of wheel is an offset of -19mm and a backspacing of 3.75". Is this going to fit properly without any issues? Those equations threw me off track.

Edit: Going by American Racings' website, my 7" x 15" Outlaw II's should be -6mm offset and 3.75" backspacing.
                            Last edited by monterey1962; 01-28-2008, 10:23 PM.

Comment

The -19mm offset with 3.75" BS on 8" wheels should fit ok. It will be out farther but should be ok. You may have to clearance the sharp edges on the inside of the fender lip, but nothing that will effect the appearance at all. It will make the stance much more aggressive as it will have that 'pit bull' wide track width look. The old Western wheels on my car were like that. They had 3.75" BS but were 8.5" wide. I ran 245 up front, and personally I would recommend that instead of 255, but a 255 should clear anyways as my wheels were 1/2" farther out than yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X