Wagon Cargo Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Cargo Coils

Alright, I will be going to my parts guy on my way home from school tomorrow to buy some rear springs and shocks.

I already know about the F150 shocks and all, but I'm a little concerned about the springs.

I would like to go with the wagon CC 819's, but I don't want it to be too raised up in the back. Right now it sits a little low in the back (sometimes it sits lower on the drivers side than the passengers side). But, when I put my summer wheels on the back (w/ 275 60 15's) they rub on the outside fender lip when I have rear passengers. The front end sits a little low on my car ('90 P72), so any extreme lift in the rear would make it look really goofy.

I want to know this: will the CC 819's make it look retardedly high in the back? Or will it look okay once I mount those 28" tall 275's?

Also, I'd rather not use the CC 817's as their spring rate is lower (165 lb/in) than my stock cop springs (175 lb/in), or so I believe.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

It will be pretty high... Look at Natehawks car. Regular wagon springs might be a better choice. I would also wait on the shocks, unless you know for sure that the current ones are at full extension.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The straight rate will still provide some lift though, correct?

The spring rate is also higher than what I have now (182 vs 175; on tired cop springs). Hmmmm...
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The wagon springs will give you lift, either way prog or variable. they are a taller higher rate spring.

Gabe is running stock wagon springs on his car...So are a few others. Even the seda ncargo coils would help, and using poly isolators would give you a bit more hieght if needed.

Comment

I put the wagon Variable Rate coils on the back of my tudor and it raised it to a retarded degree. My 225/70/15s look like skateboard wheels. If you just want to lose that "sway-back Granny" look, I would recommend the Variable Rate Sedan coils. They gave my ex's 91 a nice lift, bout half what I got from the waggin ones on mine. I should have some pics to upload tomorrow or saturday of the tudor with the tall springs... Driving like this makes me feel like my name should be Cletus and the deed to my house should have "Double-Wide" on it somewhere.

Good Luck
          The Admiral

Comment

I have original 1985 wagon coils on my car in the back, and its pretty close to level front > back with the new front coils. It would probably be slightly higher with new regular wagon springs, but not as high as the wagon cargo coils.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've found that the CC817 Rear Sedan Cargo Coil and 8650 Front Wagon coil to be a good combo. Running it on both the '88 and '90. Gives the car a little rake with a big plus in the handling department. Those CC817's hold up nicely with the trunk loaded, too.

Comment

Ive used both the sedan and waggin cargo coils... the rear waggin cargos in the 85 did make it almost silly high, but they did settle a bit and it looks just right now, just alittle rake. I should mention though she sits a little high in the front so the rake might still be more extreme if the front springs are droppy a bit. It seems to me like most towncar and mercs seen to sit lower in the front than vics...
                I put rear sedan cargo coils in the 91, and they boosted the formerly slightly saggy rear up about an inch, making it sit pretty level. The front of the 91 is nice and high though too.
                Id use the sedan cargo's, police spec if they are availiable, they should level you out without the rake look.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Another thingto take into consideration is the amount of crap people normally lug around in their trunk. Like subwoofers....

Comment

Well, I didn't go to the parts store today because its shitty here today. I'm not going to go with the cc 819's though.

The cc 817's have a lower spring rate than my straight rate stock cop springs though. I suppose because they are vari- rate that they should be a little better though, right?

Is there a police spec cc?

Comment

I have the CC819's in and it looked too high at first. I know I had to adj. the headlights and that I can carry 4 truck battery's, a case of oil, and some tools in the trunk with ease. It also rides a little stiff, but, it doesn't lean in the curves. If I had to replace them again I would use CC817's. I need to do the front springs first.
                      Last edited by Glen; 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM.
                      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
                        . It seems to me like most towncar and mercs seen to sit lower in the front than vics...

weight. Also, Towncars have different springs, specifically because they weigh more. I've run Vic HD springs in my Lincoln before, it sits almost 2" too low with them.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I found some pic of before and after. The ones in the snow dated 2005 are the before.
                          Attached Files
                          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Glen, your fronts are fine and just where you want them to be as far as ride height goes. Also, that's one very nice car you got, love the stance too, but then again I'm a bit partial to raked Panthers:

Comment

Glen, that first pic is with wagon cargo coils? That doesn't look bad at all to me.
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                              X