1990 one year only axle shafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 one year only axle shafts?

RockAuto tells me the rear axle shafts for my car are unique to 90. I checked 91 and they run from 91-97 mostly and I checked 89, and they ran fom 79-89.

what makes the axles on a 1990 special? this prettymuch rules out junkyard pieces for me, which i don't think i really mind. if it can wear down, i usually like to buy new, but i'm still curious about 'em.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

sounds like a good excuse for a rear-disc swap to me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
      RockAuto tells me the rear axle shafts for my car are unique to 90. I checked 91 and they run from 91-97 mostly and I checked 89, and they ran fom 79-89.

what makes the axles on a 1990 special? this prettymuch rules out junkyard pieces for me, which i don't think i really mind. if it can wear down, i usually like to buy new, but i'm still curious about 'em.
      Congratulations, you are a proud owner of a transitional year car!
      Here, do this, measure from axle hub to axle hub on your '93 and on your '90. I would've thought that it would be the same as the '91+.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        sounds like a good excuse for a rear-disc swap to me.
        +1

86vicky, I'll do that when it's not raining and muddy outside. Might happen by October!

I'm debating whether or not I want to trash the rear end that's in it now. I could pull the rear from my 95 or get a complete Aero junkyard axle. There's an aero that appeared at a local junkyard with a nice intact windshield and rear suspension that actually keeps the car level, I bet they'd love to sell me the rear axle too
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

There's an aero that appeared at a local junkyard with a nice intact windshield and rear suspension that actually keeps the car level, I bet they'd love to sell me the rear axle too
          Take some pics next time you visit that yard.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

will do. are you looking for anything in particular?

i could go tomorrow.
            sigpic

Comment

1990 one year axle shaft

RockAuto tells me the rear for my car are unique to 90. I checked 91 and they run from 91-97 mostly and I checked 89, and they ran fom 79-89.

I think there is nothing special about that one because it will fit in most 1990's model. If there is, I'm going to find out for you.
              Last edited by 85crownHPP; 11-19-2011, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I think that one year only stuff is total BS!!!

I just replaced a bad axle in a 97 using an axle from a 90, I compared the two closely before doing the job.

Because the computer said it was different and wouldn't work!

But except for a minor design change on the wheel stud end, they were identical in everyway!

So I put it in, same seal and bearing, same everything, no problems!

Comment

/\ good to know!
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                  X