speedo cable removal? - 89 GMQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo cable removal? - 89 GMQ

real quick whats the trick to get the cable off the back of the gauge cluster so the cluster can be removed? i dont wanna start just yanking things (or maybe i do )

im working on it right at the moment so id appericate any timley responces.

thanks
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Should be a metal tab thing that unhooks it, it has been on all the cars I have worked on. Mine is all electric so I have not taken one of a panther so don't take my word for it. Someone else (87gtvic) would know for sure as hes had the cluster out many times.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

well it looks like a metal cylinder comming off the gauge and then theres a round white piece of plastic that i think holds the cable to the back of the gauge but im not sure if thats the piece that "unhooks"
      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

I think you may have done it already...but here goes nothing. Lay on your back reach your right arm up underneath the dash and feel for the white collar right at the base of the speedometer. Pinch that collar between your fingers while pushing up (a bit) and pull out.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yep - the collar is a bit oblong - you want to squeeze at the widest part.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

dont get your arm stuck

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If squeezing it doesn't release the cable, cuss at it and try again. I've always been able to pull the cluster out just far enough to use a really long pair of needle nose pliers to reach in there and squeeze the tabs, but its still a pain, and putting it back on is a real chore.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

do any panels or covers have to come off to get your hand in?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

If you have the under dash carpeting that will have to come off, and removing the fuse box access panel will help you reach up a bit more. If you have long arms you should be able to remove it with the fuse panel cover still in place.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

don't need long arms really... but knowing where to reach and not having beefy arms may help. Some areas are quite narrow up under those dashes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Unfortunately..or fortunately..depending on how you look at things...I have gotten really good at removing and reinstalling the speedo cable into the back of my cluster.
                      ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Unfortunately..or fortunately..depending on how you look at things...I have gotten really good at removing and reinstalling the speedo cable into the back of my cluster.
                        same here... needle was about 8 mph off when i first got the car... had to reseat it at 0 a couple of times along with trying to get the speedo to stop squealing and finally greased the right part. I think i've had that speedo out about 4 times, the 93 vic's speedo out about 8 times (trial and error in making that planetary gear for the odometer) and the speedo out of the 85 pontiac parisienne I used to have about 12 times (repairing the coolant temp gauge) - it's very similar to the way the 88 mgm is mounted up speedo wise that is. so far, the 93 is actually the hardest due to the lack of space to get a hold of the wire harness and get the clips on it to let go. I did figure out a press and wiggle move that made it pretty easy though. once one side lets go, it pretty much comes out with little trouble.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          I think you may have done it already...but here goes nothing. Lay on your back reach your right arm up underneath the dash and feel for the white collar right at the base of the speedometer. Pinch that collar between your fingers while pushing up (a bit) and pull out.
                          Lay on your back?! Reach under the dash?! I've gotten enough reach out of the cable where I can pull the speedometer far enough forward to get my hand behind it and release the plastic clip, and also to reattach it as well. I've done it with my car and an '88 Grand Marquis, so there's more than enough cable to get the cluster undone without going under the dash. Oh, and if the white thing doesn't release, push the cable and the cluster closer together and try again, it should then release easily, you'll hear and feel it release. But remember that if you're taking the cluster out that you disconnect the shift indicator lever from the steering column, or else you might break it, or break it more.
                          Last edited by 86VickyLX; 04-15-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X