wiring funtimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring funtimes

Does anyone have an EVTM handy for a 90-91? I have mine out in front of me and am curious about something.

I have a 3G installed and there's really only two wires going to it now, charge for the battery and the green/red. I originally left the wiring in place, just snipped the big stupid 3-wire harness off and taped the wires up. I'm in the process of removing any associated wiring.

12-1, 65A alternator - Fuse link A and AA, can I just get rid of those? As I understand it, it's part of the old 2G wiring and doesn't even need to be there anymore...I could be way way wrong though. It's yellow/white and black/orange that I am tracing from the old 2G harness across/under the header panel to one of the studs on the fender solenoid.

I just want to make sure I'm reading this stuff right before I tear it out.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

disregard, I was looking at it wrong
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Yep, that's the one.
      You will find a plug under your airbox for those wires too, you can un-plug that and remove everything from there to the alternator. I just tucked away the solenoid end of those wires, I didn't wan't to fish them out all the way from where they run all behind the header panel...
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I still have the stock-wired fender solenoid, a few things are drawing 12v from the there instead of the alternator like it did with the 2G. They're just all wired up together so if I leave it this way I still need to get power to em and fuse them.

Perfect excuse to install the fuse box!

Wiring isn't so bad when you don't need the car to drive it. You've got time to fuck it up and leave it sit
        Last edited by 1990LTD; 07-21-2011, 07:00 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Is wd40 alright to use to clean up wires with grime on 'em? I know it's recommended for spark plug wires but how about the little teeny ones all over the place?
          Last edited by 1990LTD; 07-21-2011, 10:15 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

It's no fuckin' wonder I was confused. EVTM is nowhere near accurate for the wiring to my fender solenoid.....it looks like somebody got fed up with having so many fusible links and decided to splice a bunch of them so there are only 2 ring terminals drawing power thru the solenoid...the rest are just spliced into those two not very far away from the solenoid. Fun fun fun. Soldering tomorrow.
            sigpic

Comment

If you unplug the thing over by your fender, you won't have a check oil light/low oil light

Comment

Working...
              X