Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

actuator and window motor done. Question about bezel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actuator and window motor done. Question about bezel...

One question. When attaching the lock switch back to the underneath part of the bezel with the two Philips #2's, the damn plastic just crumbled when I was tightening one of the screws into the plastic body. I suppose this is normal? The other screw cracked the plastic housing as well. Is the passenger door control bezel still available from Ford?
    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
    96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
    77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
    98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
    90 Grand Marquis, stock

Don't think so... you can use a slightly longer screw, just dont over-tighten and you might avoid cracking it further.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Those things crack and fall apart, you have to be very careful putting those screws back in. And still they will crack and break off!

As far as I know those parts are no longer available from Ford, and the only choice is a junkyard. Which if you get real luck you'll find those parts unbroken! I've seen them, so I know that it's possible.

Other than that, the best option if you have most of it still in one piece, is using a real good epoxy.

Comment

Epoxy a stud in its place and use a nut to secure it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by alchemist View Post
          One question. When attaching the lock switch back to the underneath part of the bezel with the two Philips #2's, the damn plastic just crumbled when I was tightening one of the screws into the plastic body. I suppose this is normal? The other screw cracked the plastic housing as well. Is the passenger door control bezel still available from Ford?
          They all get like that. If you find any from Ford, let me know haha.

Comment

I have a couple that are cracked. +1 on the epoxy or something.

There is no steady supply of NOS bezels and there is no company currently repro-ing them.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

if the parts are all there, could you slip a piece of metal tubing or something over it to hold the chunks in place? That should give you some support, coupled with a longer screw it might just work.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yep, all parts still there. Seeing it's the passenger side, might not get as much 'abuse'. I like all these ideas. Thanks everyone.
                95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
                96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
                77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
                98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
                90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Working...
                X