Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part 3 in the ongoing series of Car Audio Installation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 3 in the ongoing series of Car Audio Installation.

This weeks topic:
    Power Distribution

We all have the basic electronics knowledge needed for this, so I wont bore you with remedial wiring. (Sorry about the cruthchy thingy here. Only place to get the jpgs!)

Our big new stereo system
    Pioneer DEH-P9600MP

Infinity Kappa 42.5i (Dash)

Infinity Kappa 62.5i (Doors)

Infinity Kappa 963.5i (Rear)

The pics dont show it but all the Kappa speaker magnets are HUGE! Also they may require some minor mods on your cars part.
    Audiobahn AW1200Q (Sub)

Note the Dual Voice Coil! Series wire those Puppies!
    RF Punch Amps
    P2002 50x2 (Dash)

P3002 75x2 (Doors)

T8002 125x2 (Rear)

P8002 800x1 (Sub @ 2)

(We won the lottery )

First up (after the deck is installed of course) is the power wires for the amps. DO NOT splice in to the existing battery cable! Add a new terminator (not AAAUNOLD!) that has either a screw post or set screws appropriate to your installation! You will also need 2 ANL fuse holders for this installation. Splice them into the power lines as CLOSE as practicable to the battery.

Terminator with a plastic cover. NIIIICE!

ANL Holder

ANL 300-amp Fuse

In this instance some of you may be tempted to run the cables along the bottom of the car. This is just fine as long as they are secure and protected. In this case we are running it through the car, not under it.

Hey dude, my batt's in my trunk!! This is even better, but be SURE it is secured. All this stuff you're about to put into the trunk will make the car grip and sit even better. The main lines should be run and taped until just before the final connections.

Second. Install amps to a sheet of wood! Leave about 1"-1 1/2" between the sides and do not put stuff on top. Run any car amp for ten minutes and put your hand on it. Nice and warm ain't it! After reading "Burn Wound Care for Dummies" run the amp turn on lead, and the RCA cables. These should be routed as far from the power lines as possible. I usually run the power leads down one side of the car, and the RCAs down the other side. The amp turn on lead only carries a 12-volt signal and 16-12 ga wire will work.

Third. Install the sub box as close to the seat as possible. weather you point the subs foreword or backward are your choice. I don't recommend pointing them up, as all kinds of garbage will fall on them creating noise.

Install the amp boards with the sub amps as close to the box as possible. This will ensure the minimum run of speaker wire and loss of signal. The following graphic will help you see the rest of the story.

The red and black should be self explanatory. The Blue in there is the amp turn on lead, and the FDB is a Fused Distribution Block. The amps are mounted to wood boards for insulation and looks, finish them as you want to. The final ground point should ideally be a common bolt or screw in the metal of the body or frame. Be sure to use a star washer on this connection!

This is a Combo block for 4 amps or less. Looks COOL don't it?

Once the amp boards and sub box is installed it is time to run the speaker wires. The rear speakers are the simplest here! Just make sure they are out of the way from the trunk lid, springs, whatever can pinch or cut them. The front and dash speakers are a little more difficult. i suggest running them along the tunnel opposite to the lead wire, and use a shielded sheath over them. In one installation I shielded each wire, **+ **- each, and bundled them into one run to the front of the car. At this point run the dash speakers first, find the original door wires at the pillar and do the pull though thingy. The shield may not fit here, that is ok.

At this time hook up thing in this order.
    1. Speaker Wire
    2. RCA
    3. Amp Lead
    4. Main Ground to car and GB(Grounding Block. This is not fused).
    5. Amp ground to the GB.
    6. Amp power to FDB's.
    7. Install fuses in FDB's.
    8. Main Power to FDB's.
    9. Install ANL fuses in fuse holders.
    10. Say a short prayer an hook the lines to the terminator.
    11. Start the car if no problems are noticed, CRANK THOSE TUNES!!!!!!
    :headbang: :jammin: :drummer: :rock: :headbang2:

Up next Week
    The video stuff. Including PS2/XBOX stuff.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Not Listed
    0%
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

come to think of it! i still have the origonal tunner knob radio in my car!(im putting in the cd player in soon) but, if i want some hi-tech audio...ill go inside the house!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

some visual aides?

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Well don't I feel like phuggin idiot now!

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownLX
          some visual aides?

hmm, alpine
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

why do you feel like an idiot??? lol

and yeah those amps are sweet.. old school but still new enough to be badass... they sound awesome. I got both of em on Ebay for about 75 bucks each... WELL worth it.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

nice article

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Moved

Comment

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have a 1,000w 10" DVC and I didn't shit me pants...Altho it was a steal as I traded a Glasspack for it.....lol
                    sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

I'd modify the amps a little bit to run cooler.....My idea is to use a 12v Fan for computers to cool off the heat sinks, I just don't like my electronics running hot.
                      Anybody else think that might work?
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Any type of cooling would help an amp. I had the fans mounted under the amps with the bottoms off to blow on the circuits. never had any problems.

Tim
                        2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                        84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                        85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                        89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                        89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                        1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                        2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

I went to a electronics expo, and there was a mang that had a liquid cooled system, alotta work, but was colder then the fridge....lol

Seriously, he had a setup that ran liquid nitrogen/Ice cold water/etc that went into the amp and cooled it faster than with fans, worth some time looking into it....

But this come with a LOT of modding.....
                          sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

The old school Precision power ART series had the ability to be water cooled. was a neat system.

Tim
                            2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                            84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                            85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                            89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                            89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                            1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                            2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

You may want to do big three upgrade if you are adding all these amps. Big three upgrade consists of upgrading the positive wire to your alternator, battery ground, and ground from chassis to block.

Comment

Working...
                              X