Front and Rear Door Lock Actuators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front and Rear Door Lock Actuators

I am looking to replace the door lock actuators on my '91 CV. Are the front and rear actuators the same (rod extender and actuator)? I am seeing conflicting information in the parts catalogs. I am going to buy OEM actuators so I am not going to get a bag of multiple styles of rods like the aftermarket actuators come with. Some of the catalogs say they are the same part number, but those also come with an assortment of rods so I'm not sure if I bought 4 OEM actuators of the same part if they will all work.
    '89 XR7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '93 SC AOD

Without consulting my bible I'd say either tear your own car down and look at them or go gung-ho on a junkyard car to see.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The actuators are the same. The rods, which you can swap from one actuator to another, are not the same.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        The actuators are the same. The rods, which you can swap from one actuator to another, are not the same.
        Got it. I forgot you could swap the rods from the actuator. Thanks for the response.
        '89 XR7 5 Speed
        '95 SC 5 Speed
        '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
        '93 SC AOD

Comment

I usually shop around for cheap OEM actuators for some oddball application and switch the rods if needed. Last pair I got were 30 bucks each, marketed for an 84 Topaz or something. Happily, it looks to be the same damn lock actuator that my Mark VII uses.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I usually shop around for cheap OEM actuators for some oddball application and switch the rods if needed. Last pair I got were 30 bucks each, marketed for an 84 Topaz or something. Happily, it looks to be the same damn lock actuator that my Mark VII uses.
            Not a bad idea. Are they all pretty much the same for Fords across the board from the early 80's to the end of the box era? They all look like they have the same round body, but with different rods. It looks like when they switched to the aero-Vic they switched over to those rectangular box actuators (which is ironic now that I think about it).
            '89 XR7 5 Speed
            '95 SC 5 Speed
            '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
            '93 SC AOD

Comment

yep. Same actuator, different rod. The plugs and all are the same. Only real difference is that some have plastic brackets and some have metal, but that seems to be more a year by year thing. No idea if it makes any real difference. Can't say I've had problems with the brackets being the fail point.

I would actually like to figure how to easily fit aero lock actuators if only because they are more available than the old ones. They also don't seem to seize and fail as much.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I actually have a couple of aero actuators (used) that I bought years back not knowing they wouldn't fit. I couldn't figure out how to get the extension rod out (different than the older cylindrical actuators) so I put them back on the shelf to collect more dust.
                '89 XR7 5 Speed
                '95 SC 5 Speed
                '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
                '93 SC AOD

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  yep. Same actuator, different rod. The plugs and all are the same. Only real difference is that some have plastic brackets and some have metal, but that seems to be more a year by year thing. No idea if it makes any real difference. Can't say I've had problems with the brackets being the fail point.

I would actually like to figure how to easily fit aero lock actuators if only because they are more available than the old ones. They also don't seem to seize and fail as much.
                  Check out GM_Guy's thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...=Lock+Actuator
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Good to see another old school name that I remember. Welcome back!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                      Good to see another old school name that I remember. Welcome back!
                      Thanks. Been gone for a long time. Looking to fix up some issues on my car. I remember when you just started this site. Looks like it has grown quite a bit in the last 8-9 years.
                      '89 XR7 5 Speed
                      '95 SC 5 Speed
                      '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
                      '93 SC AOD

Comment

Working...
                      X