1988 mgm ls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 mgm ls

Hey all, new here to forums ('officially', been lurking for some time lol). Figured a good place to start is by showing off my car, my good ol' 88 merc. Picked her up July '15 for $500, all she really needed was tires. She came with steelies with those ugly spoked covers, not my cup of tea, so I set her on a set of turbines off the 87 mgm I was driving. Looked pretty rad with the old mercury emblem on the hubcaps and the new one on the rest of the car. Bought her with 124,000 miles, she's now rolling along 137000ish. Within 3 weeks of owning her, I drove her to Kentucky (from Wisconsin), and in March she saw Wyoming. She ain't the prettiest, 29 years in WI, but she's full of life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1303591Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1303592Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1303593Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1303594Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1303595Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1303596

Pics are a few months old, now she's riding on wheels off a 98 mountaineer (235/75/r15 tires look real good on these cars). Otherwise, pretty much the same.

Hopefully I'm not making any major errors here, I have very limited forum-type experience. Cheers.

Welcome!

You got a great deal on that car. I paid a little more for the one I bought earlier this year, but I think yours is in much better shape.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

You guys and these killer deals! That f'er is fully loaded too! Tripminder with the rare leather seats! Odd it didn't have the turbines already though.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

+1 that would've crept close to base Town Car territory in 1988! She's even got the vent windows. I really like that deep red (think it was called midnight electric red?), and how the interior's color coded to match. Leather seats are far better than I expected- there are panthers 10+ years newer with totally roached seats. Can't tell if she's a tow package car but given the plethora of other options it's pretty likely!
        '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
        '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
        '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Wow! Great deal on that car. Wish they were selling them that cheap around here, especially with the amazing interior!
          ************************************************** ******************************
          1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
          1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
          http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Welcome! I'd say you got a damn-good deal on her. Love the 4x4 badge on the trunk, lol. The more box panthers we save the better the world is.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
              ...The more box panthers we save the better the world is.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I would love to put a 4x4 badge on my 88 and actually mean it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Very nice Mercury especially since it was from Wisconsin. You got a good deal. The exterior color is Medium Cabernet Metallic and the interior color is Cabernet

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes. The pictures are a little flattering, and she's got some new stickers and 'accessories' added since (I bolted bull horns on the front ). I'm on vacay, but I can take some new pics when I get back.
                    Sadly, she doesn't have the Tripminder, REALLY wish she did. Would definitely buy one if anyone's got one laying around?
                    I've had a surprising number of people believe the car's 4x4; it's kinda funny.
                    Doesn't have tow package, but has a bumper hitch. I've gotten some strange looks when I roll up to the boat launch with the merc.

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1280699

Comment

Welcome! I like red cars, although I am in denial for the most part.

Got any pics with the mountaineer wheels?
                      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        Welcome! I like red cars, although I am in denial for the most part.

Got any pics with the mountaineer wheels?
                        I'll wash her and do a quick photo shoot Monday when I get home. Don't have any recent pics on my laptop. Here's a pic of one of the wheels that came on it tho

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1280701

Comment

the locking wheel covers. Same ones were on my 88 before that Focus ST trashed 3 of them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Nice car you have there.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Took some newer pictures, was too lazy to wash the car, so she's still a bit muddy.

Name:	DSCF0493.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1280710Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0494.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1280711Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0496.jpg
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1280712Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0497.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1280713Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0498.jpg
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1280714

Also, here's a pic of the center console/cup-holder/junk collector thing I made to sit in the bench split. Seemed silly to have a car with 3 ash trays, but no cup holders.

Name:	DSCF0504.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1280715

Comment

Working...
                              X