Ashtray Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashtray Light

I'm having a small problem I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with.I can't get my Ashtray Light to work,I've tried 2 different sets of bulbs and still nothing.Checked the Fuses and none are blown,all the other lighting in the car works:lighted visors on H&L,Dome and Map Lights,glovebox light,both floor lights,and all dash lights,just can't get the ashtray light to work. Last time I was under the dash I did'nt see any frayed wires or disconnected grounds.Does anyone know were the switch is located that turns on the light when you open the ashtray?Maybe I've overlooked something,Any help is appriciated.

Your light turns on when you open the ash tray? Mine lights up when I turn the marker lights on, it's just hard to see it when the tray is closed. Dunno why yours don't work though...

Comment

Maybe not,I've never had a working ashtray light in one of these cars,I just thought the light would have a switch to turn itself off when the ashtray is closed,like the glovebox light does.I went out and tried it again,turning on the markers and headlamps with the key in the acc,and on position,still nothing.

Though,if the ashtray light is supposed to stay on all the time when the marker and head lights are on that kind of makes me not want to fix or keep it,as I sometimes store stuff in the ashtray space that could be damaged from the heat the bulb would constantly give off.Anyone know if the ashtray light is supposed to stay on all the time when the markers and headlamps are on in the Box Vic?

Comment

put a led bulb in the ashtray.......they dont get hot

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I tried 2 bulbs in mine and an LED bulb, mine doesn't work either. You got me...
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Also, no the ashtray light is only supposed to come on when you open it, in a CV/GM.
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

Mine only comes on with the dash lights, like when you turn on the headlights/parking lights. I tapped the wiring for my gauge lighting.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

TC ones have no switch in the ashtray, so they're hot all the time when the lights are on. They also have a metal shield over them so they burn out real quick. None of mine work, all the bulbs are silver from them getting hot and cooking to death. I dont smoke so I dont really care if they work or not.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

no switch here - my ashtray light is also on all the time with the marker lights - Its what I have my gauge Illumination wired into.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Mine was only on when the ashtray was open, but i dont remember seeing a switch for it. I tore the entire ashtray out anyways.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Hmm, if they come on with the lights, maybe thats why mine didnt work....
                      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

Well,I have no idea what is up with it.Hopefully it still has power going to it at least for when I wire up my gauges.

Comment

Working...
                        X