140mph speedo instal -- '89 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140mph speedo instal -- '89 CV

I've had the 140mph speedo setting in the garage for a while now, and may take a shot at installing it if the weather decides to ever warm up again.

I was surprised to find that the search won't bring up any write-ups on this subject. Didn't someone have a write-up posted? Blaze? Either way, I'll ask my questions.

Is everything a direct switch from the 85mph to the 140mph? I know there's a bit of an issue with the odometer, but I can work around that.

As far as I know, it's a straight swap. The only difference being that the 140 clusters don't have some of the lights that the 85 clusters have. Where you have gauges though, it's no big deal.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yeah, its fairly simple. You lose the low fuel light, the trip odometer, and I think the washer fluid light. No great loss really.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if you dont know, you pinch the white collar around the end of the speedo cable where it connects to the speedo. You have to get it in a certain spot so try different angles if its not working.
        Every speedo Ive removed has been a tight sqeeze trying to get your hand back there, becuase the cable is holding it cluster back in its hole
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Speedo cables are easy. Just put a new one in the CV this summer. Although, the new cable doesn't grab the cluster as snug as the old cable did.

Comment

straight swap, but you lose low fuel and low oil light, unless you cut the holes out for it.
            LTD is still here

Comment

I swapped my printed circut from my 85 to my 140 cause it had more lighting around the perimeter. I also swapped my shift pattern indicator.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

could always install a tripminder as an tripodomiter. if you want to get that function back!
                sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

Fortuneately, the CV already has a tripminder. The cold weather has put this project on hold.

Comment

Here are some pics of the 140mph speedo that I have. Not sure if I'm going to use it. Was there a trick to changing the odometer? This one is around 50K miles off from my current reading. Acurate mileage reading is important to me.

As you can see in the pic, the plastic where the shift indicator is has broken. Is there any way around this? I didn't realize it was part of the whole face molding until I pulled it apart. If anything, I suppose I can use the speedo, but not have a working shift indicator.

I might toss it in tomorrow just for kicks. My current 85mph speedo bounces pretty bad. Ran the 140mph speedo up to 55mph with my cordless drill .... broke a cue-tip in half, locked it in the drill, and stuck it in the speedo cable hole.

Also, I noticed that the needle hits the stopping pin at around 135mph. What's the point of a 140mph then?
                    Last edited by monterey1962; 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM.

Comment

You can swap the shift indicator from the stock one. Its a spring and a cable, takes about 1 min to swap once you have it apart.

Setting the odo is not hard. Flip the speedo over so you can see the back of it after you remove it from the housing. There is a pin across the top with small plastic gears on it. It will push out towards the left. Push it out just far enough to get the right end of the pin out of the metal bracket. Set the digits where you need them, put a piece of tape over the odometer to hold them, and put the pin back in. You'll need to fiddle with the plastic gears to get them to all line back up, but it will go back together. Try not to disturb those as much as possible.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Excellent. Thanks.

Comment

Well, so much for that shit. Dropped my 140mph face plate. It clipped the table and shattered.

Here's pics for reference. I did cut the stopping peg off so that the needle would have been able to go all the way over, but so much for that. A day fuckin' wasted.
                          Last edited by monterey1962; 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM.

Comment

i'm working on a white face for the 140 speedo
                            LTD is still here

Comment

Originally posted by 1987LTDmasta
                              i'm working on a white face for the 140 speedo
                              you should do a complete thread about that one!
                              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Working...
                              X