Anyone made new door panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone made new door panels?

On the freebie wagon I just got the velour has faded badly on the door panels, not to mention the pasteboard behind them is warped and generally ruined from rain. (3 windows were partway down for at least 2 years...)

I was looking at one of the door panels and thought about using the pasteboard as a template to cut some new ones out of 1/4" plywood. If I could get new material under to look right stretched over the metal at the top it might make for some nice looking door panels.

My question is this. Has anyone tried this, and if so what problems did you run into?

G.S.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

if you find anything out, can someone tell me? I need to redo the carpet on mine.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I was thinking about using new velvet or velour all the way down. Nothing but the armrest and maybe a new pull strap.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

The problem is that damn curved pasteboard at the top. It would be tough, (but not impossible) to curve plywood to that shape. If it wasn't for that, my panels would already be recovered. Two other options would be to use a sheet of aluminum or steel as that would hold the curve at the top, or make a wood form and lay up some fiberglass to use as a base.
        1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
        1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
        1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Maybe I need to look at mine again. I thought the curved part at the top was metal...

Axle codes
          Open/Lock/Ratio #
          -----------------------
          G / H / 2.26
          B / C / 2.47
          8 / M / 2.73
          7 / - / 3.07
          Y / Z / 3.08
          4 / D / 3.42
          F / R / 3.45
          5 / E / 3.27
          6 / W / 3.73
          2 / K / 3.55
          A / - / 3.63
          J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
            Maybe I need to look at mine again. I thought the curved part at the top was metal...
            I think you are right....Here is a link that i was following at one point in time:

Well I wanted to get backing boards for my convertible as one of the POs over the years did the 80s speaker in door panel "mod". I didn't have $45 for the ones at FMR but I had seen that someone had made some from materials at Lowes. Well I went there and they have 4' x 8' 1/8" hardboard for $7.53 (that was just in my price range;)). So last night I cut the board into 15" wide sections and then traced out the old backing board on the section. Next I took my jigsaw and let it loose. I had also
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

OOOh... Thanks!

That's the sort of stuff I was looking for!

I have to say it looks like his door panels turned out really nice. Of course he reused the original vinyl though. I'll just have to tear one of mine apart and take a look at it.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

The top part is metal so you can certainly swap that over onto the new panel. I've been thinking about the door panels for awhile and I'd like to try something not moisture sensitive like metal, or even some sort of plastic. Perhaps a piece of aluminum in a similar thickness as the old pressboad with Dynamat Extreme on it. Luckily, my trunk is the worst of it in termas of being warped.
                sigpic
                1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

actually this helps me a lot. I just need to find some of the carpet the resembles the original. Who knows, when i get bored this weekend I might try it. Ive got one to practice on first (off the new door) before i try it on the good ones though
                  Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                  New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Being made out of rigid plyboard might make getting it on and off a challenge... I pop a lot of door panels at work and they all seem to need to have a little give to them.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                    X