Arthritic door locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arthritic door locks

I have the usual problems with my door locks with my 91 Grand Marquis. They crap out and I replace them as needed. I started buying them two at a time now.

The problem I want to address is that even though I replace the door locks, they still require more force to open mechanically - such as with a key or the armrest button - than when the car was new. I've gone through the whole mechanism looking for binding and anyplace that excessive friction can develop, and come up with nothing. It's considerably worse in the cold winter weather. I'm afraid of breaking my key! I've even taken the latch mechanism out of the door, cleaned out any old grease, and relubed with new grease. Even this doesn't help. Has anyone been able to get back the as-new feel of the door lock mechanism? This problem only seems to plague the front doors.

Does the key part work smoothly with the lock actuator motor removed? Usually whenever I have problems with one, its the lock motor crapping out. Most of the aftermarket motors are just crap. I've been buying NOS Ford motors on eBay and just changing the lock rods as needed. I actually replaced one in the Towncar this weekend. I installed it in 2005, and it was pulled from an 88. I figure I got 5 years out of a used lock motor of unknown age so I can't complain.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the aftermarket lock motors are no good, and it is getting harder to find nos and good used working lock motors

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It sounds like I should be glad mine doesn't have P/ locks!
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Motocycle chain lube. Spray liberally in the latch mechanism. Spray some on the back of the key lock on the rotating bits.

Alex.

Comment

I buy the made in china locks from eBay. Everything seems to work smoothly before I install the motor. I'll have to revisit the entire mechanism.

Comment

I would thorougly lube the lock cylinders and latch mechanisms with PBblaster. I would do it like once a week for about 5-6 weeks, then lube the latches with penetrating grease.

white lithium cakes up and gets thick after it attracts dust

the lock actuators to crap out alot though. iirc one of the mustang resto places has NOS actuators and I beleive they are the same or can be slightly modified to work

Comment

With other cars, the door latch mechanism can be removed, cleaned, and relubed to work like new. I've done this many times. This regimen doesn't work on the panther bodies.

Comment

I had a couple Chinese lock motors that worked great at first, then seized up, both boots had torn. Our doors get lots of rain water in them if the exterior dew wipes are old...
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

OEM door lock motors cost $100. The chinese replacements cost $25. For that money I'll go with the chinese replacements. I don't think OEM is that much better than the chinese replacements. I find a lot of OEM parts are way overpriced for the quality put into them.

Comment

Search around on ebay, you'll find NOS ones for less than China motors.

As for OEM being better, I have 3 original 1986 lock motors in my car that work fine still. The driver's side was shot when I got it, and I installed a 1988 lock motor that lasted 5 years. I just replaced it last weekend, so it was 22 years old when it was basically dead, and my others are now 24 years old. On the other hand, the Mark VII (same lock motors) has needed the driver's lock motor replaced 4 times in the last 19 years.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have that red axle grease for helping out my poor car's joints and used that on the latch ... well... hosed the latch with it really (used a needle fitting to inject grease in all the moving parts) and haven't had any issues since. This was about a year ago now. I had to change that lock actuator (driver door) cause the old one rusted solid or flat seized up. Thankfully I'm moving into a house and the car will be kept in the garage so that the drip water won't go directly into the lock motor (which seems to be the main issue on mine). I did fill it with that red grease as best I could (did displace some water - had issues with the front locks freezing up over the winter too) and it's seemed to help quite a bit.
                        Last edited by sly; 03-24-2010, 08:10 PM. Reason: grr... typos

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                          Our doors get lots of rain water in them if the exterior dew wipes are old...
                          We can fix that!
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            We can fix that!
                            Oh really. Or is more like the scene from 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' where Jeff Spicoli wrecks Jefferson's car?:

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me, he's gonna kill us!
                            Jeff Spicoli: Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!
                            Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!
                            Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?
                            Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!
                            Jeff Spicoli: Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
                            sigpic
                            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                            COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Working...
                            X