Cracked Lower Waterneck Oil Sending Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked Lower Waterneck Oil Sending Housing

Well I was changing the oil in my 2000 TC today and went to take the old sending unit out and the bottom piece of the thread cracked off. I had a small oil leak at the sending unit so I assume it had been cracked.

I see bolts through this assembly so it looks replaceable. My questions are what is this called? Is it hard to replace? And any other tips.

I will be going to get one from another town car in a junkyard tomorrow. If its not in good shape ill compare to other 4.6 vehicles.

1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

oil filter adapter IIRC

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks man. I was looking for it at part stores but no luck. I did find the gasket though. So I'm hoping to find one tomorrow. Should be same on GM and CV as well, hopefully all goes well thanks
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Oil Filter Adapter +1

They are the same from CV, GM, and TC.
        BEWARE!!!! the CVPI's have the external oil cooler and are not compatable. Plus they have two hoses running to it and thermostatic bypass valve.
        You will be able to spot the difference between the two. There is a big time, clearly-evident difference.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Looks like someone tried to tighten it up and went too far... I'd think oil would be pouring out of a break there.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

JW Weld? lol.

-ryan s.
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Well it had a small hairline crack (i think) but when I tried taking the old sending unit out the added stress cracked it like this. After these pics I took it all the way out and the whole bottom fell off.

I went to a yard and pulled one off of a 98 TC and it went right on, only difference was the 98 used a different sending unit but I put a new one in anyway.

Wasn't too hard, gasket stayed put and all bolts were easy to get to, was a pretty messy job though. Even after draining coolant there was a pool left in it which poured all over me when I loosened it up.

Anyway, all is good now no oil/coolant leaks and no more oil light

Thanks guys!

Comment

Glad we could help!!

-ryan s.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                X