Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Manifold options

Good afternoon,

I have the problem of the cracked intake manifold in the termostat housing area, every 2 days i look at the leak just to be sure the antifreeze don't enter to the coil area.

I was looking at the options that i have to replace the intake;
    - The quickest and most common, the dorman sold at autozone, i read that sometimes it have problems with the o-rings and is needed to put RTV to have sealed to avoid problems...
    - The Ford Racing intake, ($300 - $350 USD), it sould be the direct fit and work fine with performance
    - I found in ebay a couple of options (arround $150 USD), i don't know if any of you use this brands and if it's better than the dorman brand, but i see them the almost the same, they comes with o-rings instead gasket...

Doorman
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Intak...dWs~uI&vxp=mtr

AM Autoparts
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intake-Manif...dVzcgS&vxp=mtr

Autoandart
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intake-M...VW0nO9&vxp=mtr

The VIN of my GM have a "W" in the 8th digit, in the AM Autoparts explain that it should fit directly, but with the part number of my intake manifold i can't find it directly 1L2E-9424-DC
    http://www.am-autoparts.com/2001/Mer...72/388174.html

Any suggestions regarding the purchase of the intake manifold?
    I could buy the ford racing, but It takes me more time to complete the money.
    Thanks.

About three years ago a friend of mine had a cracked manifold on his 97 CV. I went to the JY, pulled a manifold off a 96, 97 or 98 that had a replacement manifold on it, and put it on his car. No big deal, and so far no leaks or problems of any kind. I paid around $35 for it.

Comment

When the one on my '98 cracked the shop put a dorman on it. They did have problems getting it to seal but once it did it was fine. If you're going to spend the money though, I'd buy the Ford one and avoid the trouble.

Comment

+1 just get the Ford part. It's a direct fit and is easy to deal with. It also flows better and just all around works better. Just be mindful of the bolts as they come out. If they start to feel like they are getting tighter, move them back and forth a bit in that spot before continuing to back them out. Galling the threads in the heads sucks.

also... Tasca has it for $253usd before shipping: http://www.tascaparts.com/intakes-an...pi/m-9424-p46/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ford Racing. All intakes that you linked are Dormans which are junk.

Comment

Yep, get the Ford one. The Dorman is garbage.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Good afternoon:

This weekend I went to visit my parents, and take that was near the border with Texas, and went with my brother to a yunk yard in Eagle Pass.
              Found an intake manifold with part number 3W7E-9424-AD, the manager told me that the intake manifold was taken from a 2002 or 2003 Lincoln.
              I was watching the multiple and everything looks the same, just note that the injectors are thinner than have my marquis.

The only detail I found it was on the inside of the ports through which runs the antifreeze has a small part that broke.
              You think you can put any product as a sealant? or there would be no problem to leave it like that?
              I saw a brand sealants JB Weld.

The intake manifold cost me $ 80 Dollars

I bught the gaskets, new thermostat, o-ring.
              Torque Wrench, and got the technical book to know the order of tightening torque to the screws of the Intake.

You think about the small part missing from the line antifreeze? I put some kind of sealer or leave it like that?

Comment

You will need to do something. Those cracks will get bigger. You definitely want to use a chemical resistant epoxy that bonds well with aluminum and plastic. Plastic welder 2-part epoxy (not the Loctite brand, it's too freaking runny and very hard to work with) is generally good to use. And after it cures, it can be shaped.

Also, when you install the temp sensor in the coolant crossover, do NOT over-torque it. You WILL crack the crossover.

Here's the complete removal and install of the intake manifold for a 2001 CV/GM (PDF): http://www.grandmarq.net/sly/2001%20...20Manifold.pdf

Some of the stuff you can skip... like disconnecting the fuel line. You can just lift the fuel rails up and out of the way. The injectors should fit even if the body is larger, though I would have a set of injector o-rings on-hand as some of yours will probably need to be replaced (if not all of them) as they will probably not seal well once disturbed. I'm also not sure you actually have to remove the wiper stuff either, but that may make it easier for sure. And removing the alternator helps for possible removal and install angles if the wiper stuff stays put.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

You don't have to do anything about those cracks. That's just a cover that attached on the bottom for insulation or what not. Has no bearing on the manifold integrity.

Comment

Until the cracks propogate past the crossover and start leaking through. Look at it. The plastic is between the aluminum and the gasket. And that looks pretty rough and cracked already. Technically it would probably work as is, but 3-5 years down the road may be leaking again because the cracks have propogate past the gasket. Why not fix it up now so it will last longer?

Comment

I bought this product for application to the intake manifold, dry in an hour and withstands high temperatures, also it indicates that it can be used with water.
                      ** tomorrow I'll clean the intake manifold, applying sealant.

Thanks you for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        Until the cracks propogate past the crossover and start leaking through. Look at it. The plastic is between the aluminum and the gasket. And that looks pretty rough and cracked already. Technically it would probably work as is, but 3-5 years down the road may be leaking again because the cracks have propogate past the gasket. Why not fix it up now so it will last longer?
                        Unless we are looking at different images, the big plastic cover that sits in the center of the intake on the bottom is just that, a cover. It has no effect on functionality. It can be removed entirely.

Comment

In an attempt to clear things up, I think what Sly is referring to is the two spots in this picture:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	03_4.6_Intake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	1279087

Helps if I upload the edited version:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	03_4.6_Intake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	1279088

Those two spots are the close up shots in Rodo's first two pics, so I think he understands that those are the only two spots to be concerned with.

The other cracks, as Mr Bean said, are not an issue.
                          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-21-2016, 08:31 AM.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The your injectors will fit fine. I have an 04 PI intake on my 93 with 93 injectors. It's all good. That plastic repair should work. I used blue RTV on mine when I installed it.

-ryan s.
                            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                            Originally posted by pantera77
                            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                              Unless we are looking at different images, the big plastic cover that sits in the center of the intake on the bottom is just that, a cover. It has no effect on functionality. It can be removed entirely.
                              nope. The coolant port on the intake itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X