BUILD UP IDEA-COMMENTS PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUILD UP IDEA-COMMENTS PLEASE

O.K. guys. I've been thinking about this for a while, as I've started getting the dreaded "5 liter knock" upon start up. I'm looking to do the following: 99-01 explorer engine, with a better cam for stronger lower to mid-range torque. Mustang shorty headers, and "H" pipe, Walker Dynomax mufflers, and 94-96 Impala tailpipes. I already have a 92 muatang HO trans in the car, so no worries there. As for the rear, I was originally thinking a "K" code 3.55, but think I might go with a 3.27 instead, to keep the highway mileage up, and still have the off the line grunt. I currently have the standard 2.73 open rear. Of course, I would need a Mark VII computer, and have my EGR, and throttle body bored out, to at least 65MM. The last part actually being easy, as I would get those from a wrecker, and send them out to be bored, and put them away for future use. Well, let's hear what you have to say. I almost forgot about the in-tank fuel pump. What would be the best one to use?
    Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by PICKUP6772; 08-16-2009, 12:52 PM.

Anybody??

Comment

Carter is a USA made pump, and are supposed to be pretty good.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

These cars run for 200K+ miles with the "5 liter knock"
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if you get an explorer motor from those years you need the gt40P specific herders which i imagine are atleast a few dollars more then your common fox body shorties

just something to keep in mind...
          1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

woah, "stronger cam for more mid-low range tq" LMFAO. You will not get a better cam for that than the stock explorer cam.

Comment

Might want a HO wiring harness, to go with the ECM.

gonna need the internal EGR style heads and intake if you wish to remain smog legal.

if emissions is not a problem I wouldnt bother with the boring of the lopo and hoping to not have a vacuum leak.

Your factory intakes will work with the motor but I wouldnt recommend using the factory upper. id atleast go HO if the explorer's wasnt avalible.

and then theres always CARB. but you had a Mark ecm.

oh almost forgot.

you need a threaded adapter for the oil filter. the explorers use a elbow adapter.
              1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

LtMercDaddy, I don't know about MARYland being emissions hell. Apparently, you've never been to lower NY. Our emission standards, if I'm not mistaken, almost mirror california's. Mike (mrltd), this is why I posted this, as I'm more familiar with chevys. Until my wife bought the 89 CV about 10yrs ago, I would have never touched a ford product. Blame that on a few electrical fires I've had with fords. RunUoveR, I was unaware of the GT40p specific headers, thanks. LtMercDaddy, I will be able to use my current harness, with the MARK VII ecm, along with the rest of the switches, and sensors. Which I will have to do, if I expect to remain emissions legal. So carb'd is definitely out of the question. And I definitely want the explorer intakes, along with the modded TB, and spacer. Mike, back to you, what's your opinion on my rear gear selection, as I do mostly highway driving. LtMercDaddy, check out mrltd's post on HO conversions. This is where I'm starting, to get an idea as to where I'm going, and going from there.
                MIKE

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  These cars run for 200K+ miles with the "5 liter knock"
                  x1 to that

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

complete engine from a 96 or 97 explorer......make sure it has internal egr......change the valve springs, swap the oil pan and pickup, and the timing cover and harmonic balancer and water pump. change the timing chain and gears also the explorers were single roller...... you will need an oil filter adaptor for the block from ford also
                    the explorer engine has a 65mm throttle body.......you will need to locate a 93-95 ford lightning egr spacer or modify a mustang 65mm spacer to work

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

3.55 is fine, with a stock explorer motor you could probably go 3.27. I've always run 3.73's and do fine on the highway, pulling 19-20mpg in the wagon without ac on. Mind you I have an aftermarket cam and some different tuning.

Comment

Scott, thanks for your input. I didn't realize that an adapter would be need for the oil filter, though. What's the deal with that? Is it the type of filter, or the direction it mounts? Mike, I'm getting mid to upper 20's without the A/C, low 20's with the A/C, and would like gto keep it in that range, if not improve it some. LtMercDaddy, here's the results from my last inspection. I don't know what Maryland requires, but as you can see, NY is pretty tight on theirs.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If you want to keep that milage keep it stock.

As for the oil filter adapter-try searching for explorer swap. I wrote up the required parts for the swap. The explorer motor uses an oil cooler and a different filter- that won't fit on the panther.

Comment

WTH?!?!?!?!?!? Jeez MIke!!!! You just completely freaked me out with the name change. What gives?

Comment

I'll have to dig my recent emissions test out the glove box and compare. I'm actually getting ready to switch my current registration over to a historic one. By doing so I'll be exempt of emissions testing provided I only use the vehicle for limited purposes.

since you have to retain your emissions numbers you need to use the heads and intake fitted for internal EGR. the intakes and heads have a passage located in the middle of the runners.

If you didnt need to retain your emissions legalness you wouldnt need to worry about the intakes or heads. I believe all HO and LOPO intakes have internal EGR. Could have used a different EGR spacer aswell.

(note)

some intakes do not have the IAT tapped.
                              1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

Working...
                              X