More cooling system issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More cooling system issues

Okay, a few weeks ago I walked out to my car (at work) after it had been sitting for about 20 minutes and noticed an anti-freeze puddle under it. Puddle was under the front/middle of the engine. I had a leaking front (oil) drain plug at the time so it was hard to tell were the source was, since that part was wet with oil all the time anyway (and my color vision is iffy).

Well, since I didn't pay attention when I parked.....for all I know it was already there beforehand. The level did go down a bit, but I had also just put in a new radiator and thought there might still be some air in the system.

Well, I've been hearing a gurgling in my dash and have been a bit paraniod about it. So I have been keepng a close watch on my coolant level. (no anti-freeze smell inside the car at all).

Well, today I cought it in the act. It's coming from the bottom of the water pump.

No hoses are leaking and the front intake manifold area is dry.
    No overheating issue's either.

It appears to be coming out of a hole cast into the bottom of the water pump.
    The gasket could be leaking under there too, but it is hard to tell.

The expansion tank was very overfull the 1st time this happened and was still slightly overfull today. I'm sure it will drop a bit when I leave work tonight. (just like it did before).

Is there some kind of "blow-off valve" in the waterpump? (for when the system is too full?)
    It only does this after I have parked and shut off the car.

I'm assuming I need a new water pump? (my car has 81k miles on it)

Thanks for your help.
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

That would be the weep hole. And yes, sounds like it's water pump time. Might not hurt to throw a new timing set in there while you're at it, since you'll be most of the way there anyway.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
      That would be the weep hole. And yes, sounds like it's water pump time. Might not hurt to throw a new timing set in there while you're at it, since you'll be most of the way there anyway.
      That is what I figured.

I have an idea what to expect tackling this job, but have never actually done one (solo that is).
      Other than the pump (and timing set if I can afford it).
      Are there any other parts I need? (extra gaskets ect..)
      Any tips/tricks/things to watch for would be appreciated.

.......Oh and what causes the fluid to come out the weep hole anyways?
      (let me guess, it the cars way of telling you the pump is going?)
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

change all the hoses, the timing cover gasket and the timing chain and gears
        water pump change is the perfect time for a panther ho conversion hehe

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

your lucky,my water pump just started gushing all over my driveway. Looking back at doing it,make sure you put rtv on both sides of the gasket. My bro didnt and i had to do it all over again.The surfaces must be nice and clean too.Dont even bother with a reman,for 10 dolars more you can get a brand new one.
          [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            change all the hoses, the timing cover gasket and the timing chain and gears
            water pump change is the perfect time for a panther ho conversion hehe
            I knew you'd nail me about the hoses again. (and you'd be right too).

I don't like compromising on maintenance (ever), but I have a problem....
            Money is THAT tight right now.

What I want to do is everything you just listed (yes the HO conv. too!)

Basically right now (this week) I can spend (maybe) $100 (more like $75) on parts and thats it. (I get paid every other week, care to guess which week this is?)
            I got a 3 day weekend coming and since I work at a painfully slow pace when I'm doing something new to me, this would be the best time to pull things apart.

How long can I (safely) drive my car like this?
            Also, I do have the option of parking it till I can do this right.

Don't these double-roller chains last a lot longer than the old single-style ones used too?

Even though I don't really like what I'm about to type.....

Could I get away with just doing the:
            -pump+gasket

and probably the:
            -upper+lower radiator hoses
            -and that short elbow hose that goes on top of the pump

(I keep hoping that I'll get the chance to do an HO upper and do the heater hoses then)

Or should I just park it for a bit?
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by ironstealth View Post
              your lucky,my water pump just started gushing all over my driveway. Looking back at doing it,make sure you put rtv on both sides of the gasket. My bro didnt and i had to do it all over again.The surfaces must be nice and clean too.Dont even bother with a reman,for 10 dolars more you can get a brand new one.

Thanks for the tip.
              I have a tube of the "copper-plus" stuff, will that do?
              Former panther owner
              1981 CV 351 4bbl
              1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

If the budget is that tight, then yes, odds are you'll be fine doing just the pump. Depending on the condition of the hoses, you can probably even reuse those until you have the money to replace them. With as low as the mileage is on this car, the timing set probably isn't too awful yet, but it's still something that should be replaced when time and money allow.

Also, when you're deciding what to do, don't forget to figure new antifreeze into the budget. You probably already have, but it's an easy thing to forget.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

how fast is the drip? do you have a temp gauge? might be ok for short trips till you can fix her
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If its just dripping, I'd ride it till payday. If its gushing, then it needs to be done asap. If you keep watch on the water, you should be good for a week.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

how fast is the drip? do you have a temp gauge? might be ok for short trips till you can fix her
                      -I commute 22 miles one way with the car.
                      -Yes, I have a temp. guage. It typically reads between the "N" and "O" of "normal" or on the "O" if I have the A/C on. (it was higher before the new radiator).
                      -Basically, it's about the same amount of mess on the ground as a small cup of coffee.
                      It was dripping quite rapidly after the engine was shut of, but then it stopped. It has only done this twice in about 3 weeks time.

Also, when you're deciding what to do, don't forget to figure new antifreeze into the budget. You probably already have, but it's an easy thing to forget
                      I actually plan to drain and re-use most of it (plus I have the better part of another gallon). It's very fresh from a flush done in May, which led to the discovery that I needed a new radiator........

Scott was after me about replacing the hoses then too. They do look pretty good up close (better than in the pics I put up). This is killing me because honestly, I think he's right.

I'm not used to not being able to just go buy a part(s) if I think my car needs it (whether it actually does or not), but the wife is out of work and I am the sole income right now. We can pay our bills, but not much is left over.
                      Last edited by andymac0035; 09-01-2009, 08:00 PM.
                      Former panther owner
                      1981 CV 351 4bbl
                      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Oh, to re-interate, it does NOT do this when the engine is on.
                        I went back outside to see if there was a trail leading to where I parked. There was not.
                        I know it sounds wierd, but that is what's going on.

That's why I asked if there was a bypass or blow-off valve inside the pump.
                        Former panther owner
                        1981 CV 351 4bbl
                        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Provided it's not running over 190 degrees or so, you could probably get away with leaving the radiator cap loose so the system doesn't build pressure for a few days. Wouldn't recommend it long term, and if the weather down there is still hot, it's probably not the best idea, but it would keep it from leaking, or at least slow it way down. Just a thought.

Comment

copper plus? never heard of it. all i used was the black rtv sealant. and by now your brackets are probly looking like crap(oil,rust,dirt)? hit them with brake clean and a brush and nice coat of engine paint. When its all done it'll look real nice.
                            [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

Oh, another thing no one's mentioned yet, water pump bolts on small block Fords have a nasty tendency to rust in place, and it can be easy to snap them off when removing them if you're not careful, which then makes a minor project a rather huge one.

I've never personally had an issue with it, so I'm not saying necessarily that it will be a problem for you, but watch for it. If you find one that doesn't want to move, try giving it a good smack on the end with a hammer and punch. You'd be surprised what that will knock loose sometimes. Also, once you get them moving, if one starts to stiffen up as you're loosening it, turn it back in a little ways, then start turning it out again until it begins to stiffen up again, and repeat. You may already know all this stuff, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it just in case.

Comment

Working...
                              X