Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedometer Plastic Collar - Best way to hold in place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Plastic Collar - Best way to hold in place?

Hi All,

So the collar on my speedometer is broken. (The one that goes from the shift indicator to the shift lever. My old one was broken too.

I have it currently zip tied in place but after a few months it's managed to work its way out of alignment. (N is now OD).

Is there a better way to hold this thing in place so it won't walk?

I attached a pic for reference.

Thanks,
    -Erik
    Attached Files

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

On my '87 GM the exact same thing happened. I zipped it and that was last year. So far, so good. Not sure any other way will be effective (glue?) because of it's design. Bought a spare one, just in case. Would love to hear if anyone has any other ideas....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

The majority of those collars are broken. Zip tie is the best bet.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Has anyone tried a hose clamp?
        sigpic
        89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
        "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Did a search on Ebay and found the part# seems to be D9AZ-7E363-A.
          When I did a search for D9AZ-7E363 there were more results than I expected but the price range is roughly $35-$55.
          I also wonder, as lincolnlarry said, if a hose clamp could work.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            Did a search on Ebay and found the part# seems to be D9AZ-7E363-A.
            When I did a search for D9AZ-7E363 there were more results than I expected but the price range is roughly $35-$55.
            I also wonder, as lincolnlarry said, if a hose clamp could work.
            Guess a clamp is worth a shot. I think I found mine, a new one, for under $30 but that was about a year ago and perhaps I just got lucky!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

I'd be inclined to supplement the zip tie or hose clamp with a piece of double-sided tape on the shaft to keep the part from slipping.
              Last edited by IPreferDIY; 02-20-2015, 03:16 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Hmm. Thanks for the ideas! I wonder if I just didn't have the zip tie tight enough? My last one never slipped before. Though, this one I know doesn't slide as nice as my last one. I put a ton of graphite power in it to help it stay smooth but I guess maybe there might still be too much friction.

I'm not sure a hose clamp would work unless it was really thin because of how much stuff is around the collar. Could be worth a try though.

I like the idea of the double face tape. I should have some 3M stuff left over floating around. Maybe that with the zip tie will work...?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

+1 on the zip tie thing. I haven't run into one that wasn't broken. Use as thick a zip tie you can and get it as tight as possible. I thought of the hose clamp thing but the zip tie is faster to get off should you ever need to swap the cluster or what have you.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I bent a small L bracket to work in place of the stupid thing. I can't find a pic of it right now, but it works fine except for putting the needle dead center between P and R when in park. all the rest line up.

without having to go through the fabrication like I did, I would also suggest the double sided tape or some rubber tape (something to give it more traction to the shaft) and the zip tie. I had used a zip tie for a long time before I finally made that bracket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have a none broken one in the car as well as a spare that I had modified.

You have to dremel out a channel in the ridges so the zip tie can grab better. I honestly don't know how the zip tie trick works at all because of the irregular surface of the damned thing. My spare, if I ever have to use it, has holes dremeled out in the shape of a zip tie and I believe it would be the most effective way to secure a broken one. The tie will stay put when tightening because it has no where to go.

Also if you ever plan to remove a none broken one I always use a heat gun and get it nice and warm then remove the screw and then wrestle it out of place. Works every time for me.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I drill a tiny hole through the plastic into the steel tube, ( make sure its lined up to read correctly). I then screw a sheet metal screw into it. The screw has to be TINY so it doesn't hit the steering shaft inside the tube. WagonMan
                        89 Colony Park
                        90 Colony Park
                        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I ran one with a zip tie for a long while until I broke another chunk out of it so that it wouldn't work anymore. Then I went to the Ford dealer and bought a brand new one for like 25 bucks. For all the fuss, buy a new one if its already out.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I recently found a non broken one in my stash, I'm not sure what it's from though. If you want to check your part #, I'll compare it to mine. I have lots of other knick-knacks I can send you cheap too, if you can think of anything else you need.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The part number on my spare is "E1MY-7A110-B". Is that your number? Wouldn't mind having another if it fits my car and is a reasonable cost! Bobby

Comment

Working...
                              X