Does your AOD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your AOD...

Do any of your AOD's have a noticibly harsh upshift from 3rd to 4th?

If Im driving steady in (D) it shifts smoothly into fourth gear at around 55mph, but If I let off the gas anywhere between 35-55mpg my car slams into fourth gear. I can hear and feel a clunk all the way down the car when it shifts, im sure thats great for my gears and u-joints.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Every vehicle I have ever driven with the aod does the low speed low load harsh 3-4. Thats my experience.
    1991 GM GS sedan "Love Boat" HO converted, Holley adjustable fpr, 3.27 Trac-lok - RIP
    1991 Colony Park LS "Wally World Express" HO, 3.27 trac-lok - RIP
    1988 grand marquis ls "grey ghoul" - RIP 1992 gm ls "superbeater"- sold 1993 F350 dually 7.3 IDI crew cab flatbed "killer" - RIP
    1994.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab Flatbed, Powerstroke 7.3 "overkill" - Alive and kicking
    1987 Lincoln Town Car "El Presidente" - Resting for winter, gonna be a beast!
    2008 Mustang, no name - belongs to the wifey

Comment

Yup. Mine does too. And with the exahust gives a nice voomf noise. Worried me for a little, till I found out everyones does it.
      1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX.
      -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
      Supermotors

Comment

yeah mine does that too. I have heard that "dropping" into gear produces less wear on internal parts then "smoothly shifting" into gear, but that was with honda auto transmissions
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar
          yeah mine does that too. I have heard that "dropping" into gear produces less wear on internal parts then "smoothly shifting" into gear, but that was with honda auto transmissions
          He's right. It means it's not overlapping pressure on both 3rd and 4th gears at the same time.
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

That is a standard driving characteristic of an AOD. It is actually good for it. As stated before, it prevents wear on the clutches from stretched or long engaugments. It only does it on very low to 0 power so it's not harmfull to any other part of the car.

Comment

mine doesnt clunk into OD at any speed.... of course I only put it in OD if Im about to be going 50mph or faster for an extended length of time
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You guys must have the good OD servo...

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Lol, and I thought mine does that cause I've played with the TV linkage But I don't hear a clunk when it drops in 4th, just a kinda harsh push forward when the OD band engages, so maybe the clunk nitroracer experiences is a sign of something worn (u-joints)? The exhaust however only vroomfs when downshifting (in all gears), upshifting is accompanied by no funky sounds... for now, we'll see next week how the shift kit will make it act

Comment

Mine does that and it actually slams the tranny into the floorpan since the mount is bad. Rather annoying, faster I go, the mushier it shifts. That'll be fixed with eitrher a shift kit or replacement trans soon

-gadget73

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hmmmmm. I have never noticed this with GL. Probably cuz I never done let it shift into fourth when letting off teh gas.
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                        mine doesnt clunk into OD at any speed.... of course I only put it in OD if Im about to be going 50mph or faster for an extended length of time

+1
                        2000 Grand Marquis LS
                        2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                        1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                        Mercury Owners Group member
                        Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

I let off when I want it to shift. Buttery smooth. Been doing it like that for 120k that I know of cause my dad had it before me.
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS
                          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Dont get me wrong though, if I crest a hill doing 35, happend to be in OD and coast down the hill, it does clunk into OD but thats becuase its not supposed to be! As soon as you press the gas it goes back out of OD.
                            Doing that over and over is what kills the OD band Im guessing, and is why I keep it in 'D' intill the time is right.
                            Going into OD at speed is quick and painless for me. Tom knows! He rode in it
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I do keep my car in drive when most of my driving is under 50mph, but I just wanted to know if everybody else was experiencing the same harsh shift and know that my transmission isn't going south.
                              -Matt
                              1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Working...
                              X