Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there are pics of the car in my albums, no detailed mount pics or anything though.

Comment

mustang bob, having done a nice 460 panther swap and having a super nice squire with a small block. would u put a 460 in my colony park? or would u jus put a t 5 behind my 351 windsor?

Comment

Unless you're in it for cool points or bragging rights, I would suggest first making sure that you can't actually accomplish your performance goals with a Windsor-family engine. Granted, the results so far are only from a dyno session a few months back, but a guy here in southern Michigan had a head-limited 347W (that's 302-based) clicking off 694hp NA ...
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          Unless you're in it for cool points or bragging rights, I would suggest first making sure that you can't actually accomplish your performance goals with a Windsor-family engine. ...
          I'm gonna side with this one. Unless of course you already have a 460 or can get one dirt dirt cheap. Otherwise it's a toss up on being worth it.

Granted, the results so far are only from a dyno session a few months back, but a guy here in southern Michigan had a head-limited 347W (that's 302-based) clicking off 694hp NA
          I think I heard about the same one (Can't be that many 347's in MI with exactly 694 HP right ? lol), would've liked to see what it could do, but given his current scenario I'm sure it wont be anytime soon.

Comment

Last I heard he was out of the hospital and had his hands on a suitable transmission, and I want to say was gathering money for an adequate clutch setup.

Comment

What is his 'current secnario' that you guys are speaking of?
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Unless you're in it for cool points or bragging rights, I would suggest first making sure that you can't actually accomplish your performance goals with a Windsor-family engine.
                +11eleventyone

if you don't care about all of the extraneous work involved in shoehorning a non-windsor in, giver. i don't know what the weight difference would be between a dressed 460 and a 351 but figures are out there somewhere i'm sure.

on the other hand you could probably find a 351 block cheap and spend all of your money on other gofast parts and not have to deal with all of that crap.
                Last edited by 1990LTD; 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

if you're really after displacement turn it into a 427w

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    +11eleventyone

if you don't care about all of the extraneous work involved in shoehorning a non-windsor in, giver. i don't know what the weight difference would be between a dressed 460 and a 351 but figures are out there somewhere i'm sure.

on the other hand you could probably find a 351 block cheap and spend all of your money on other gofast parts and not have to deal with all of that crap.
                    We've got a link to some engine weights somewheres ..... IIRC, a 385-series is about 200 pounds heavier than a 351W and almost 300 pounds heavier than an 8.2-deck motor. There are those who prefer a 347 over a 351 because of the lighter weight (that list said 411 lbs. for a late 5.0, though I don't know in what state of assembly that was) and reduced bearing friction, and supposedly if the engine is balanced properly, block longevity isn't a big concern.

Comment

see i have a very nice 1977 460 factory four barrel truck engine for free with a rebuilt c6 and a 1982 351 and a fmx auto. the fmx is fine but the 351 needs a rebuild, the 460 i took it apart and its extremely clean so i put it back together with new gaskets. i could go either way. i also have a 1995 mustang 3.8 5 speed trans too. i jus absolutely hate my stock cfi 302 aod combo, my 1988 plymouth horizon will run the wheels off my colony park and get three times the fuel mileage. the only mods i have done so far to the wag. is i built a true dual exhaust 2 inch diameter with thrush 21 inch long glass packs, it sounds great rumbling at idle but its a powerless gas sucking pig in every aspect. i already have a edelbrock performer intake for the 460 to replace the spreadbore factory intake(stupid motorcraft spreadbore factory carb) and i already have the 460 fox chassis oil pan pick up tube kit. but on the other hand i already have a fox chassis oil pan and pick up tube kit for the 351. i have also thought of jus going carb on my 302 and putting the 95 t5 and jus leave it at that. i really want to use the holley dirt track two barrel thats jus half of a double pumper, but it specificly says not to be used with the aod. i'm jus sort of rambling but i have many paths i could go.

Comment

something i forgot. my stock aod works "ok" i guess but when i let off the gas pedal to make a turn when i start to slow down from lets say 40 mph or faster when i get down to about 20-25 mph and about to take the turn my trans feels like it slips out of gear and its only when i am going straight not it the corner itself, i have checked the fluid level and condition both fine, also tryed changing the filter and fluid still the same. it scares the shit out of my ole lady lol. i jus think its weird. anyone else with the issue?

Comment

You should be able to use that carb with the AOD.

You'll need the Lokar TV cable, and a Holley TV geometry corrector.

I know this, because I'm about to put a 4150 on a 302 in front of an AOD.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

So ..... is this build going small block or big block?

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              You should be able to use that carb with the AOD.

You'll need the Lokar TV cable, and a Holley TV geometry corrector.

I know this, because I'm about to put a 4150 on a 302 in front of an AOD.
                              Regarding the geometry, I use a Lentech valve body and my TV cable is hooked directly to the lower hole on the Holley throttle lever. Len from Lentech checked out my setup at the last World Ford Challenge I raced at and he blessed it. We were in the staging lanes for Open Comp and he was behind me with his Maverick. I have not done any additional work to my tranny and it has over 120,000 miles on it with a pile of 11 second nitrous runs under its belt. This is more a testament to the Lentech valve bodies than what you can get away with on a stock tranny.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X