No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    getting a Exploder engine for cheap AND having it already in good shape like this BBF seems to be is far from a sure thing, but someone of my modest experience hardly needs to point that out in the context of this discussion.
    I am on number 6 or 7 used Explorer motors in different applications without having to do anything but swap valve springs, timing covers, oil pans, etc.. 3 of them have had 150 to 175 shots of nitrous run through them and I know of 1 person using one with a turbo and another person with a Paxton blower. Low boost and a good tune...

Comment

True. I would belive a used expo motor could be found in far better condition than a 460 as the expos got the 5.0 up untill 2000 or so.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
        I am on number 6 or 7 used Explorer motors in different applications without having to do anything but swap valve springs, timing covers, oil pans, etc.. 3 of them have had 150 to 175 shots of nitrous run through them and I know of 1 person using one with a turbo and another person with a Paxton blower. Low boost and a good tune...
        Pretty neat; that's precisely the sort of situation I'd hoped for back in '06. At least where I was living at the time I bought mine, Explorer engines couldn't be had locally AT ALL. Ended up paying $300 for mine plus freight, and it required a complete rebuild and I got to chase down a new head - also not available locally. Not saying far better scenarios don't happen, because obviously they, do but at least in my case the financial end of it really didn't work out as planned.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

around here everyone with a fox chassis gobbles them up

Comment

or they got a million miles

Comment

I never did figure out what had been done to the engine I bought ... the cylinder where the spark plug threads were unrecognizable and the sparker held in place with JB Weld looked like someone had beaten on the piston and the underside of the head with a hammer. IIRC it was a different cylinder that had the nasty fingernail mark on it, and then there was the weirdly-worn rod bearings that all were basically unworn in two places and worn mostly through the copper in two places.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i could trick out the 460 for less then u could get i ragged out expo engine at a junk yard at least around here

Comment

Originally posted by 1984colonypark View Post
                  460=1 302 t5=0 i need more votes
                  i could trick out the 460 for less then u could get i ragged out expo engine at a junk yard at least around here
                  There are several in Florida with less than 100,000 miles on them for $600 or less. It does not matter as you have obviously decided to spend your cash on a 460 swap and are not interested in taking votes.
                  No problem with that as a 460 swap done right will really motorvate your wagon, so let's focus on this fact that you are doing the 460 transplant.

i think its funny how everyone jus wants to tell me to find an explorer enigne like i jus have one laying around right? i listed what i have and if your trying to cinvince me its cheaper to go and buy a explorer engine and start over versus the 460 your smoking crack. having a new drive shaft built and exhaust and welding in a set of engine mount points is NOT more expensive then buying a whole other engine. like i said i have the 460 fresh rebuild and its not sportin the smog pistons, heads or cam. and i already have a rebuilt c6 and the fox chassis pan and pickup tube kit.
                  It is cheaper but I am done talking about a 302 as you have made it clear that you are not interested in running one, so let's focus on your 460. I asked this once before and you did not reply so I will ask again... You state that the pistons heads and cam are changed so what heads pistons and cam are you running in it? What intake will you be running? Are you going with a scoop on your hood for air cleaner clearance? It looks like you have the exhaust, motor mounts and driveshaft covered so all you have left is the accessory brackets. What is your calculated costs so far with the driveshaft, exhaust and motor mounts? You already have a local shop lined up to do it for you?
                  Let's keep this thread on track with discussing your 460 engine and how you will be putting it in your wagon.
                  Last edited by Mercracer; 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

as of now mustang bob helped with the mounts by giving advice on early 70's lincoln mounts. i've acquired those yesterday. the heads are 1972 models that have been port matched to my performer intake the pistons are flat tops by keith black kb137-030, as soon as i saw the dished stock pistons they had to go. i still need to check the com bustion chambers cc's. should come up to around 10 to 1 on compression when done. went .030 on the cylinders, went with edelbrock 2167 cam and lifters with 272 int./282 exh. duration. the mounts were probably the easiest part so far, the drive shaft came to around 200, a high school friend of my father owns the driveshaft shop so i got a deal there. the biggest ordeal thus far has been the trans tunnel room in my wagon. once i torched the trans tunnel out and customized the hell out of the trans cross member mount points to get in all bolted in. it barely fit under the hood after i had to "massage" the hood bracing. like i said jus drilled some holes and the mounts litterally fell into place with bolts. the exhaust so far will be the biggest prob so far i've seen. any more help with how to make it fit there bob lol. one person told me to jus cut the trans tunnel out of the lincoln parts car i got the mounts out of but its very large in comparison to the wags

Comment

I would be suprised if you were able to get to 10:1 with those heads. How big are the reliefs in the piston tops? The chambers on D2VE heads are huge (92+ccs). Those are the only 429/460 head with an "open" combustion chamber. Nobody makes a piston to match them properly. They are prone to detonation. A Performer intake is like breathing through a straw...
                      Last edited by Mercracer; 12-30-2010, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X