No announcement yet.

5.0 to 4.6 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go 01+ for the motor, those have the PI heads which are good for a few hp

It can certainly be done, but I have to agree with the statement that the only good reason for doing this is because you want to. A 302 would be the easy way out. 'course having converted a 4.6 car to a 5.0 engine, I wouldn't do that again either.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Easiest would be find a bastard block 4.6.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I wouldn't use one of those. Not only are they hen's teeth (1991 Towncar, 92 up till 3/92 mfg date), its the lowest horsepower version and its got the problem with the valve seals. May as well go for something with power and just toss in the electronic trans with it. The trans wiring shouldn't be that much in addition to the engine.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I wouldn't use one of those. Not only are they hen's teeth (1991 Towncar, 92 up till 3/92 mfg date), its the lowest horsepower version and its got the problem with the valve seals. May as well go for something with power and just toss in the electronic trans with it. The trans wiring shouldn't be that much in addition to the engine.
          Yea, but if you already have one (like I do), it's a good starting point. I figure if someone is going to go through all the trouble of swapping a 4.6 into a box, their going to rebuild the engine anyways. Slap on some Trick Flow heads, and Stage II Comp cams and make the swap actually worth it.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Yea, but if you already have one (like I do), it's a good starting point. I figure if someone is going to go through all the trouble of swapping a 4.6 into a box, their going to rebuild the engine anyways. Slap on some Trick Flow heads, and Stage II Comp cams and make the swap actually worth it.
            thats what im talkin about. wedge heads FTW

then you could throw a tork tech/eaton kit on it.
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

dunno, the single biggest reason I wouldn't use a bastard block is specifically because it bolts to an AOD. If I'm going to all the trouble of updating the motor, I don't want a clunky AOD behind it. I want something fully programmable as far as shift points go, and I want the wide ratio to let a 4.6 really do something useful.

Just my opinion of course. The likelihood of anyone seeing me stuffing a modular motor in my box is about nil, but I would not rule out owning a 4.6 car

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                dunno, the single biggest reason I wouldn't use a bastard block is specifically because it bolts to an AOD. If I'm going to all the trouble of updating the motor, I don't want a clunky AOD behind it. I want something fully programmable as far as shift points go, and I want the wide ratio to let a 4.6 really do something useful.
                youve got a real good point.

the bastard block would be useful for more of a budget build. or if you have a low mileage aod less than 10 years old like myself.
                1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

C4, Richmond, etc... Transmission options are endless with the small block bellhousing. Its all in what you have and what you wanna do with it. I have no clue about the 4.6 to speak of but I'm sure with mods its as good as the rest. All in how much the owner wants to spend. I guess these are all kind of out of the realm of the budget build idea though...
                  1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                  1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                  1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                  1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

not worth the work of all that rewiring and custom fabbing.

the 4.6 doesn't make a lot of power unless you get a supercharged terminator motor. Even the n/a cobra motors only make 300 hp.

you can get a 5.0 pushrod motor from a 96-01 explorer and with a different cam and valve springs, with the stock efi from the explorer, and a mustang distributor and computer make 300 flywheel hp all day long for junkyard pricing....and it should be pretty much bolt in for your car.
                    -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
                    -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
                    -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

Yeah, thats what I gather.
                      Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                      Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                      Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                      Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                        Yeah, thats what I gather.
                        A nice 5.0 or a 5.8 would definitely make it into the 300hp range. The one we just did for the black '88 would easily make 300hp in its current state. If the owner had gone the way that Scott had originally planned for the car, the output would be closer to 400hp.

Comment

Oooooh, whats that recipe?? For the 400 hp 302. I was curious about the 4.6 conversion thing, but im a big 302 fan. Would you be willing to share the schematic with me?
                          Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                          Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                          Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                          Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                          sigpic

Comment

well it was a 5.8...haha but yeah john what was the original plan?
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                              well it was a 5.8...haha but yeah john what was the original plan?
                              I was referring to the 5.8 if built correctly will come close to 400.
                              I don't think a stock 302 casting can handle much over 300hp.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                                I was referring to the 5.8 if built correctly will come close to 400.
                                I don't think a stock 302 casting can handle much over 300hp.
                                the 302/5.0 blocks will take 450-500 hp before splitting. My friend currently has a 331 stroker with afr 185's and a 100 shot of nitrous...he's putting down over 400 to the wheels on nitrous, which is close to 500 flywheel hp on a stock 5.0 block. so far so good and he's at the track 1-2 times a month.

a stock late model 5.0 block will make 325 to the wheels on average, or close to 400 flywheel hp rated in today's standards with a good cam, afr 165 or 185 heads, good exhaust and a good intake setup.
                                -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
                                -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
                                -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

Working...
                                X