No announcement yet.

5.0 to 4.6 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

400 is usually considered fairly safe out of a 302, getting beyond that and you get into the questionable area. Over 500 and you're just rolling the dice. A huge amount of it has to do with the tune and how its used though. If the tune isn't right, or the motor is spun up too much, the block will crack open starting at the lifter galley and go straight down to the top of the main bearing journals. Most of this has to do with how much the 302 block flexes under heavy loads, which happens to be why the ones that get wound up real tight on a regular basis tend to pop head gaskets.

A 351 block on the other hand is usually considered safe up to 600-700 hp. They're just that much beefier.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
      Oooooh, whats that recipe?? For the 400 hp 302. I was curious about the 4.6 conversion thing, but im a big 302 fan. Would you be willing to share the schematic with me?
      AFR 165 heads and 1.7 roller rockers, dougs tri step headers
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Thanks guys. All good points. Im sticking with the 302. I will mod that. Now im torm between transmissions. A simple light weight modded C4, but with NO overdrive? A heavy unreliable AOD (with the stupid TV cable), But with overdrive. The pricey electronic version of the AOD with the wide ratio and able to be controled and programed via stans alone system?
        Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
        Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
        Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
        Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah I know, what about a 5 speed manual swap. Too much work for me.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. All good points. Im sticking with the 302. I will mod that. Now im torm between transmissions. A simple light weight modded C4, but with NO overdrive? A heavy unreliable AOD (with the stupid TV cable), But with overdrive. The pricey electronic version of the AOD with the wide ratio and able to be controled and programed via stans alone system?
            I think the popular choice is running a computer for the EFI and one for the tranny
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

The AOD isn't an unreliable transmission if you have one rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. The problem seems to be in finding someone that knows what they are doing with one. Most factory AOD failures are that stupid plastic bushing, which was quite frankly a horrible idea. Add to that poor rebuilds, and you get a reputation as an unreliable POS. The cable is mildly annoying, but its really not much worse than a kickdown linkage.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Whats the name of the electronic version of the AOD? Not the AODE. It came after with a wide gear ratio.
                sigpic

Comment

Whats the name of the electronic version of the AOD? Not the AODE. It came after with a wide gear ratio.
                  4r70w

4 gears, Rear wheel drive, 70 arbitrary ford number, Wide ratio gears
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I don't mean this to sound like a jerk.

But if you google 302 builds, you will come across a ton of stuff. I know, because I've done it quite a bit lately. From budget to wild builds, there are some comprehensive write ups out there, that provide documented evidence of performance.

With a good set of heads (AFR isn't your only option), precision machining in the bottom end, and proper cam selection (OTS or custom), you can easily make 400 fwhp.

If you want to go more radical on your cam selection, be sure to think about piston selection, because PTV clearance becomes an issue with more radical grinds.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I don't believe 70 is arbitrary.

I believe it refers to 700 newton meters (a measure of torque). Whether that is the rated capacity, or max capacity at TC, I am not sure.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        The AOD isn't an unreliable transmission if you have one rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. The problem seems to be in finding someone that knows what they are doing with one. Most factory AOD failures are that stupid plastic bushing, which was quite frankly a horrible idea. Add to that poor rebuilds, and you get a reputation as an unreliable POS. The cable is mildly annoying, but its really not much worse than a kickdown linkage.
                        The other factory flaw is the hole for the direct clutch is too small, there's not enough fluid to get into there, which causes the direct clutch failure as well. The fix for that is drilling the hole bigger, to allow for more fluid volume into the direct clutch.

Comment

Why are there two of these?

Comment

4r70W, why are there two 5.0-4.6 swap threads!?

Comment

fixed.
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

someone must have copied instead of moved....

though I don't know why a 4.6 thread is in the 5.0 forum....
                                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                                X