Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disconnecting the parking brake release won't have any negative effects
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

wait wait wait. My ebrake has a manual release actuated by a cable?
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
      Carb swap planned .
      c90 heads
      475 lift cam
      Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
      Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
      331 stroker kit
      Work in progress

Comment

That seemed like a question, it wasnt.
        anyway. instead of putting an eccentric on my current cam, you think i should just get a new cam? Im pretty sure stock lift on my cam was 375 intake and 385-395 on exhaust. that seems like alot really.
        Carb swap planned .
        c90 heads
        475 lift cam
        Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
        331 stroker kit
        Work in progress

Comment

There is really no way you could make one of these motors worse with a new camshaft
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

that's not a lot at all. lots of "streetable" cams have .500+ lift numbers. I'll let someone else fill in the blanks, but max lift numbers don't mean that much in terms of how extreme a carb is.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
              Alright. Theres a vaccumm line on the FRONT of the pedal assembly. THATS the parking brake release. my leak is coming from BEHIND the pedal but definitely off the pedal.
              Vacuum line on the front of the parking brake or brake brake? The line leading to the can that's on the parking brake is the parking brake release, but the line coming off the brake pedal is for your cruise control.
              1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

A carb is much better than the cfi. I tried to run the cfi on mine as long as i could, but realized that some of the components are obsolete and how long do expect a computer from the 1980's to last? You CAN use the existing fuel pump. I'm running two fuel pressure regulators. Im using a Holley regulator 12-803BP (bypass regulator) about $85 from summit. I had to use a second one because it was only able to take the pressure down to 10psi, so i got a Mr. Gasket one from O'reilly and now able to adjust it where i want. I have it set at 6.5. Other regulators are available but can get pretty pricey. I used rubber hoses for the connection off the existing fuel line, and for the return from the bypass. I used fuel line rated for fuel injection service, but after the regulators i used regular fuel line. Im running an edelbrock performer intake 2121 (this is a non egr intake), and 1405 carb its manual choke and 600cfm w/vac secondaries.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

This is a picture of the fuel setup. I'm also running nitrous hence the two pressure gauges.

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

another view

Comment

Any camshaft will need the fuel pump eccentric added to it. Its not part of the cam, its a thing that sits in front of the timing gear.

If you do put a carb on it, completely remove the CFI wiring harness. Dont cut anything, it unplugs and unbolts. You'll need to make a new wiring harness to power the ignition system but thats about it. It looks so much cleaner than having half of a hacked up wiring harness laying around in the engine compartment. its safer too, no risk of a hot wire shorting against stuff.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 03-08-2011, 02:56 AM.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Carb vs. EFI will always be an opinionated argument. IMO, EFI is superior and I'd sooner throw a stock HO intake manifold and lopo SEFI electronics on your car than a carb, but I'm an odd animal. I've performed 4 EFI swaps myself, one of them with a standalone that I tuned. I also tuned my OBDII truck, so neither aspects of EFI swapping concern me. I'd really like to EFI my friend's '69 Mustang if I can get all my projects out of the way first. That would be sweet.
                        1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
                          Vacuum line on the front of the parking brake or brake brake? The line leading to the can that's on the parking brake is the parking brake release, but the line coming off the brake pedal is for your cruise control.
                          thats what i mean the footbrake, and yes there is the vac line on the front but the leak is off of the pedal from behind?
                          Carb swap planned .
                          c90 heads
                          475 lift cam
                          331 stroker kit
                          Work in progress

Comment

As far as the new ignition wiring harness goes, how would i go about that, a junkyard recipe or is there something else i should look for?
                            Carb swap planned .
                            c90 heads
                            475 lift cam
                            331 stroker kit
                            Work in progress

Comment

thats what i mean the footbrake, and yes there is the vac line on the front but the leak is off of the pedal from behind?
                              That sounds like the switch itself is leaking for the cruise control. Real easy to swap out.

Comment

wait wait wait. My ebrake has a manual release actuated by a cable?
                                Yes, and a vacuum release.

Also, note that your engine does not have a roller cam, so unless it's roller compatible, you're stuck with flat tappet cams. If you do change the cam, you need to change the valvetrain as well, since the lifters are worn to the old cam.
                                Last edited by 86VickyLX; 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X