CFI to CARB-Advantages, Disadvantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
    As far as the new ignition wiring harness goes, how would i go about that, a junkyard recipe or is there something else i should look for?
    Check this link out, this is the setup i'm using for my ignition, and it has been working very well.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Here's a thought. Since you're planning to do the timing chain anyway, do that and install the fuel pump eccentric and the proper timing cover with a fuel pump blockoff plate. That way you can run the CFI for now, and if you decide to change it later on you can just bolt the pump up.

It really depends on your goals. If you want to go fast, CFI blows. You cannot make it do much of anything other than run a dead stock engine. Bolting a properly tuned 2bbl onto an otherwise 100% stock CFI motor will probably make more power. If you just want the car to run reliably without spending a lot of money on it, leaving the CFI alone is probably the cheapest route you can go. With a good timing chain, a tuneup, and some good vacuum lines a CFI car runs like a watch. They're also good on fuel if things are right, upper teens to low 20s is not unexpected. If you want more power, tunability, plus the turn-key reliability of fuel injection, a multiport EFI conversion is the way to go. SEFI swap should be good for the same or slightly better power than a 2bbl, plus you can just bump the key in any weather conditions and have the motor light right off. I like EFI in its various forms, but I do accept the limitations of CFI. Its not performance oriented or really even performance capable. I've worked on some CFI cars, and I know enough about it to make it run right but its just slow. If the CFI is totally fubar, and money is an issue, bolting a 2bbl down to the stock intake will get you going. 302s don't really need a 4bbl carb, especially CFI motors. They have dinky cams and crappy heads. A 4bbl carb is just more airflow than you absolutely need or can honestly make good use of.
      Last edited by gadget73; 03-10-2011, 08:47 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what about like a 340 cfm 4bbl?
        buddy of mines offering me his holly 340 for 100 bucks
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
        Carb swap planned .
        c90 heads
        475 lift cam
        Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
        Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
        331 stroker kit
        Work in progress

Comment

that would probably be fine, but then you're into buying an intake as well. A 2bbl will just bolt to the stock intake.

How much money do you have to spend, and what are you trying to get out of the car?
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

about 1k
            right now im trying to get a good base to build on later. When i get a chance im gonna pull the motor and do a "master" rebuild
            its gonna be my everyday, i just wanna be able to get up and go...as far as being able to eat mustangs, that can wait till later.
            My main goal right now is performing this swap, i already planned on an intake. But the thing is, I dont know every thing i need so i havent been able to do much pricing.
            Carb swap planned .
            c90 heads
            475 lift cam
            Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
            331 stroker kit
            Work in progress

Comment

find your self a 2BBL 350CFM holley. thats what i have on my lincoln. it works flawlesly and moves the car pretty well for a 2BBL.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

yeah, 2bbl will do fine. If you just want it to run, and your CFI is basically operable as I seem to understand it is, the absolute cheapest thing you can do is leave it alone. I can't begin to tell you how much money I have wasted over the years to make things "better". For me, taking a motor that runs fine with what it has now and changing it to something else would be a good way to spend money and gain nothing. That motor isn't well suited for a hot rod build anyway, so honestly I'd just do what has to be done so it runs right, and use another motor for your build.

Comment

Ive been considering a 350 chevrolet..."heartbeats under the hood" but im not wanting to hot rod the car. i dont even plan on pulling more than 300 rwhp out of the car.
                  Carb swap planned .
                  c90 heads
                  475 lift cam
                  331 stroker kit
                  Work in progress

Comment

350 chev in your box? im gonna pretend i did not see that and walk away... might aswell get a B body GM car.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

you know, at one time I toyed with the idea of sticking a Mercruiser 350 (Chevy 350) in my car and telling people it was a Mercury smallblock, but then I got some sense and decided I didn't feel like doing the fabrication work required to make that happen. That, and I *hate* setting the f'n rocker arms on a Chevy motor.

Comment

Ive been considering a 350 chevrolet..."heartbeats under the hood"
                        No

Comment

I want to do this swap im just clueless as to where to start first exactly.
                          I plan on pulling the motor within the next month or so for all the little things i wont wanna do later. Ill do the chain then. along with a pan gasket while i have it out.
                          Start by removing everything related to your injection system. TB, distributor, computer, crank sensor (CFI uses that IIRC), disconnect all fuel plumbing and see if the 5/16" line on the d/s framerail can be reused ....... Basically, if it has a wire going to it, pull it off - except maybe the factory oil pressure switch and engine-just-overheated switch (if retaining the factory Replace Engine light; otherwise, yank those too).

Also of course determine whether your engine has a cam eccentric and fuel pump boss already ... and then of course start into parts decisions. What carb to get (want a pair of 2150 cores for cheap? ), how to provide spark, fuel pickup provisions, etc. etc. ........ I've mentioned a little about what I did with my '87 wagon when going to carb from SEFI, so that might provide some points of reference. You'll possibly be doing something slightly different with TV/kickdown connections, too.
                          Last edited by 1987cp; 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            you know, at one time I toyed with the idea of sticking a Mercruiser 350 (Chevy 350) in my car and telling people it was a Mercury smallblock, but then I got some sense and decided I didn't feel like doing the fabrication work required to make that happen. That, and I *hate* setting the f'n rocker arms on a Chevy motor.
                            How would you explain the trademark Chevy/Chrysler head design with the two exhaust ports in the middle next to each other?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              No
                              How about a 348 Chevrolet?
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                                Start by removing everything related to your injection system. TB, distributor, computer, crank sensor (CFI uses that IIRC), disconnect all fuel plumbing and see if the 5/16" line on the d/s framerail can be reused ....... Basically, if it has a wire going to it, pull it off - except maybe the factory oil pressure switch and engine-just-overheated switch (if retaining the factory Replace Engine light; otherwise, yank those too).

Also of course determine whether your engine has a cam eccentric and fuel pump boss already ... and then of course start into parts decisions. What carb to get (want a pair of 2150 cores for cheap? ), how to provide spark, fuel pickup provisions, etc. etc. ........ I've mentioned a little about what I did with my '87 wagon when going to carb from SEFI, so that might provide some points of reference. You'll possibly be doing something slightly different with TV/kickdown connections, too.
                                EEC-III CFI use the crank sensor, EEC-IV CFI uses the TFI module.

Comment

Working...
                                X