CFI to CARB-Advantages, Disadvantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    How would you explain the trademark Chevy/Chrysler head design with the two exhaust ports in the middle next to each other?
    "Mercury motors are just built that way".

People are stupid. It would work for enough people for it to be funny. Most of the rest would be fooled with the big Mercury Marine logos I'd put on the air cleaner.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      How about a 348 Chevrolet?
      Boat anchor truck motor.

A 350 wouldn't be bad. But you're leaving power on the table. The 400 is the way to go, in my honest opinion. If you've driven something with a hot 350, and then something with a hot 383 stroker (400 crank in a 350), or 406, the difference is significant.

People condemn the 400 for cooling issues... but there are a ton of folks enjoying the extra cubes, without issue. Steam holes can be drilled in 350 heads (or any small block heads), if you can't find 400 specific heads.

Vortec heads on a 383/ 400 short block? Plenty of snot for a daily driver.

You'd have to go with a 700R4 or a 200R4 to maintain the same cruising ability of the AOD.

If you can't make engine mounts, or modify the transmission crossmember, then you can forget a Chevy swap. This requires fabriction tools and abilities.

I've considered this swap. If I were to build a Chivvy engine, though, it'd be an LS. End of story.

The only other GM engine I'd consider is the 500 Cadillac.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
        Boat anchor truck motor.
        Hm? You must be referring to some outdated engine that I didn't know existed (409 family, possibly?). I was of course referring to an LSx, you dolt.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Because everyone refers to an LS engine as a 348.

And not as a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, etc.
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

ive got a fabrication buddy, and i can go pick up a 350 shortblock for 150 bucks. but thats too much work for me between work 6 out of seven and school 5 out of seven.
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
            Carb swap planned .
            c90 heads
            475 lift cam
            Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
            Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
            331 stroker kit
            Work in progress

Comment

A Chord? Or Fevrolet

Pete
              Originally posted by gadget73
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I know it makes all you ford enthusiasts cringe. sorry guys:[
                the other car in my life IS a bowtie though:]](81 Corvette)
                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
                Carb swap planned .
                c90 heads
                475 lift cam
                Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
                Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
                331 stroker kit
                Work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
                  I drive a Dodge truck, and spend most of my spare time wrenching on and racing (in the nicer months) Chevrolets.

They are cheap, and fun.

Comment

Need to piss off the Chevy enthusiasts and run a Ford engine in a car.

Comment

I agree, that is why my 50' Chevy truck has a 429 in it.
                      85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
                      09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
                      79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
                      64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

Originally posted by 85ltd View Post
                        I agree, that is why my 50' Chevy truck has a 429 in it.
                        Pics? In a new thread, /threadhack

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          Because everyone refers to an LS engine as a 348.
                          But of course!

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
                          Nothing wrong with Chevy power if it's efficient for you. What variety of SBC are you looking at?

A demo-derby guy told me that you only have to move one motor mount and a SBC drops right in. Convenient, huh?

Incidentally, I found some Mustang guys talking of running a TH400 in quick SBF cars because they're strong and light. Or so they said (I've never driven or handled a TH400 myself).

True! SBCs are good engines, but it does get slightly annoying having one in every single Ford streetrod under the sun.

Comment

I'm just waiting for someone to stick a Chrysler smallblock motor in something. Its basically a smallblock Chevy with rocker shafts and valve seals that don't fail and produce the blue cloud of death in the morning. And that groovy old Torqueflite that develops morning sickness in the winter but will go for 200k like that.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pics? In a new thread, /threadhack
                              No pictures right now, don't have a camera or anything. Whenever I get one though, I'll post em. Yea, threadjack bad.
                              85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
                              09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
                              79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
                              64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                I'm just waiting for someone to stick a Chrysler smallblock motor in something. Its basically a smallblock Chevy with rocker shafts and valve seals that don't fail and produce the blue cloud of death in the morning. And that groovy old Torqueflite that develops morning sickness in the winter but will go for 200k like that.
                                I have pics of a 6.1 Hemi going in a '50ish Dodge pickup, does that count?

No clear picture in my mind of the New Hemi versus LSx as far as reliability .... if I were to choose one right now, it'd be the LSx, but that's mostly because that's what I keep hearing people talk about.

Comment

Working...
                                X