Ho efi conversion help needed on an 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ho efi conversion help needed on an 85

Hi, im building an 85 for someone, and wanted to run it by you guys...First off, ill say ive been in the ford world forever, and my wrenching skills are hard

This vic is getting a 5.0 ho roller block with the original aod. it will recieve an sefi conversion.

First off, I noticed the cfi return and pressure are on opposite sides. Which side is which. Any of you done this conversion? Did ubuse mustang fuel rails and the front metal lines? What did you do to extend the body lines.

I have several harnesses...I dont care about mass air, ...I have an 87, 89, and 90 mustang harness. Which harness is best to use? Research tells me maybe the 86-89 mustang harness? If anyone has done this swap and has a pointer on the electrical that needs to be spliced , im all ears ..I have a pretty good idea ..but not 100% yet

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Attached Files
    -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
    -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
    -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

I did it on my 85 last year and there are 2 other stickies over the same swap you should read through them.

As for the fuel lines, mustang/mark7 lines will not work. They have both the return and pressure lines coming down one side of the engine. You will need to use later SEFI panther lines which come down separate sides of the engine just like the CFI lines do. I believe the driver side is the return side. You can get these fuel rails from 86-91 crown Vic's and marqs. Up to 90 town car.

I used high pressure fuel hose and fuel hose clamps to connect the metal fuel rail to the metal body rails. When you get them from the junkyard cut the off as far down as you can. Works best if you get them from under the engine.

As for the wiring harness, mustang harness will also not work, or need major rewiring to get it to work. You need 86-91 panther SEFI harness. I prefer the 89-91 harness because it has cleaner fuse boxes and I was able to pull one from the yard pretty easily.

Only splicing that needs done is once the new SEFI harness is all hooked up with 3 grounds and sensors, you need to splice in the run wire from the ignition (red/green) and you need the start wire spliced in (red/blue). Pretty easy swap really.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

I am looking at the 85 engine bay, there are no fuse boxes...

The mustang harness is self contained for the most part....ive been chatting with my friend who converted a fox ltd and he said mostly u just power up the eec relay on the mustang harness and splice in the fuel pump circuit and thats about it...ive got 5 diff mustang harnesses to choose from...which im doing now...

If u know something more specific y they cant be used i appreciate any help....otherwise ill be splicng the harness in tomorrow and sat

Comment

just because of the orientation of the accessories on a panther compared to a mustang, a panther harness (87-91) would probably work better. If going mass air, you only have to add 3 wires and move 2 in the ECC harness IIRC. If you're sticking with the fox accessories and re-routing/deleting AC, use the mustang harness.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The fox harness is setup completely different than a panther harness. You would be way ahead of the game to get a panther sefi harness, and a mustang ecu. All you have to do is move a few wires around at the ecu connector and you're done.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Only wiring is powering the EEC relay like you said, this is powered from the redgreen run wire in the 85's standalone ignition circuit. Then splicing in the fuel pump safety wire to the new pump relay. Which is a fat orange wire. This is all that is needed to get it running. There are optional steps too. Like hooking up NSS, o2 heater circuit etc.

The mustang harness will work but it will be extremely inconvenient compared to a simple panther SEFI harness. Which is made for the same engine bay. The fuses will be supplied with the harness. That's what I was talking about with the 89-91 panther harness being my preference. You'll need a panther fuel rail anyway so just get the harness when you're getting the rail.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

I like the 90-91 VIC/GMQ harness for the newer style relays and more compact design. If you are good enough at wiring, you can use the mustang harness, but you will need to lengthen some wires here and there and you may wind up with slack in others.

If you can twEEC your ECM, you could use the popular MAF/airbox out of the newest P71s too.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...I-to-SEFI-swap

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Great info, great site...im gonna proceed with the 89 stang harness cause i have it..however next week i plan on going to a junkyard, and if the vic harness looks better, ill grab it.

Here is the cfi vic harness next to the 89 stang harness, which is on the left...after i get this running, the cfi harness will b for sale cheap with computer

Comment

problem with the Mustang harness is that everything is on the opposite side. Intake faces the wrong way, ECM is on the other side of the car, battery is opposite, and its for a physically smaller car. It can be done, but for all the bother involved of force-fitting it, using parts that just fit the car is a hell of a lot less trouble. You'll have enough to do, no point in making this part harder than it needs to be.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've actually located a friend with the wrecking yard and an an 86 Grand Marquis ...he's willing to sell me the harness the TV cable everything I need for really cheap so I'm going to go look at that tomorrow

Comment

I think the '86 TV cable is going to have a one-year-only TB end that only connects to an '86 throttle lever.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Damnit lol 86 is always an oddball year for Ford even the 86 Mustangs are all jacked up too

Comment

Maybe I just need to spend the day at the junkyards tomorrow fortunately being in Southern California cars like this are still kinda common

Comment

And 86-I think 88 has a different tv lever that will not fit your 85's selector lever. I needed an 89-91 TV lever because those year cars have a selector cable not rod.

I needed the TV bracket from an 86-88 but a lever from 89-91. You would need the TV cable from 87-91 as well. Unless you had an 86 throttle body then you'd want an 86 cable.

Comment

Im thinkimg of grabbing the harness from the car along with the entire upper intake with throttle body and matchimg tv setup..so i have all the same stuff from one vehicle

Comment

Working...
                              X