No announcement yet.

Installing a rear PI sway bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah! I thought it was the forward hole that gets drilled... d'oh... Glad you have new arms on the way
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

all the control arms I have seen, the rear hole was already drilled. on the 3-4 cars I have drilled holes in the LCA, the rear hole was there and I drilled the FRONT hole.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
        all the control arms I have seen, the rear hole was already drilled. on the 3-4 cars I have drilled holes in the LCA, the rear hole was there and I drilled the FRONT hole.
        On my car, it was the BACK holes that needed drilling. I double nay TRIPLE checked on this.....when I installed the bar after drilling said BACK holes, the RSB's bottom loop was right were it should be, just behind the pumpkin obstructing the view of the bottom bolt that holds the cover.......in fact, it looked just like this:

And it looped around the shock just like in these pics:

I did some searches a little while back on here and it was mentioned in a thread that it's the rear most hole that gets drilled(the one closest to the rear bumper).
        .......there was just no way for me to make the mistake of drilling the wrong holes, the bar would never have fit any other way on my car, when I did the install I lined it up both ways to be sure.
        Last edited by mercuryhead; 04-16-2008, 07:09 PM.

Comment

At this point, who cares. You got the replacement arms with both holes drilled and the lip bent for the sway bar install, so its sort of a moot point.

If I might make a suggestion, replace the bushings in the lower control arms before you install them. The ones in there probably aren't like they were 20 years ago.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            At this point, who cares. You got the replacement arms with both holes drilled and the lip bent for the sway bar install, so its sort of a moot point.

If I might make a suggestion, replace the bushings in the lower control arms before you install them. The ones in there probably aren't like they were 20 years ago.
            Exactly....new arms on the way!

Im gonna see how the old bushings in the arms are....the guy I bought them from says they are still good + I bet the ones in my arms are good, Ive got only 79K always garaged miles. I know age plays a major part in rubber, but Im low on cash right now, so I'll have to make due with what I have.
            Last edited by mercuryhead; 04-19-2008, 12:27 PM.

Comment

nothin wrong with that... Im re-using the used upper ball joints and hubs for my big brake swap... they feel fine and they arent that hard to replace after the fact.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If you're not installing new ones, don't bother pulling the ones out of the current arms. Probably mess the bushings up trying to re-install them more than if you just ran what comes in the police car arms. Just make sure they're not obviously screwed, if the rubber is heavily cracked and the hole around the metal insert is egged, the bushings are toast.

Also, the lowers aren't the annoying ones to change. Both of those bushings are in the arms and you can do them on the bench. Upper arms are more difficult to access, and two of the bushings press into the rear housing itself.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm Okay so I am going to be doing this on my 91, will I have the same problem with clearance issues? also if someone could tell me how to figure out the placement that would be great too, or maybe more pics. Thanks for any help.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I see some conflict here... So how about somebody with a police arm take some actual measurements. That'll end the 'drill the front hole' 'drill the rear hole'.

Measure from the front mount hole center line, to the center line of each bolt that attaches the sway bar.

Alex.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Im going to take some parts from a 90 PI tomorrow, I can check those if nobody else does.
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

What size/type of bolts etc do I need to install the rear bar. I have a p72 but I have no idea if I have 2 holes in the LCAs or not. Drillng one per side isn't a problem.

I have no idea what mounting hardware I need though.

Thanks!
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I skimmed right on past it on page 2. mercuryhead posted it...d'oh.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I Got My P.I. Sway Bars Off Of A 1990 CV In Augusta Georgia At (Pull A Part) You Stand A Better Chance Of Finding Old P.I. Parts In The South Or In Rural Areas Because They Are Still In Use In Many Rural Places If Youre In The Northeast Try West Virginia Or Ohio There Are Many 140mph Speedometers To Be Salvaged Also I Got 2 140 MPH Speedometers,2 Power Steering Coolers,2 Oil Coolers And 4 P.I. Sway Bars For $110 Tax Included So The Parts Are Out There And There Were 3 Old Box P.I.s There This Was 4 Months Ago
                            Last edited by gstak07; 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM.
                            sigpic351w .030, B303, 1.6 Roller Rockers, GT40P Heads Mild Port Job,351w Lightning Lower & Explorer Upper,65mm TB, Custom CAI, 24# Injectors, Adj FPR, 1/2 Phenolic Spacer, TPS Enhancer, Shift Kit, 2400 Stall, Hi-Rev Govenor, MMC Alcoa Driveshaft, 3.73 Trac Lok, Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, MSD Street Fire Coil, MSD 6AL Ignition 12.35 @114 mph spinning through 1st gear

Comment

Originally posted by gstak07 View Post
                              I Got My P.I. Sway Bars Off Of A 1990 CV In Augusta Georgia At (Pull A Part) You Stand A Better Chance Of Finding Old P.I. Parts In The South Or In Rural Areas Because They Are Still In Use In Many Rural Places If Youre In The Northeast Try West Virginia Or Ohio There Are Many 140mph Speedometers To Be Salvaged Also I Got 2 140 MPH Speedometers,2 Power Steering Coolers,2 Oil Coolers And 4 P.I. Sway Bars For $110 Tax Included So The Parts Are Out There And There Were 3 Old Box P.I.s There This Was 4 Months Ago
                              I know i am :offtopic:.....BUT

Find any tranny coolers?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Buy That New 25 Bucks
                                sigpic351w .030, B303, 1.6 Roller Rockers, GT40P Heads Mild Port Job,351w Lightning Lower & Explorer Upper,65mm TB, Custom CAI, 24# Injectors, Adj FPR, 1/2 Phenolic Spacer, TPS Enhancer, Shift Kit, 2400 Stall, Hi-Rev Govenor, MMC Alcoa Driveshaft, 3.73 Trac Lok, Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, MSD Street Fire Coil, MSD 6AL Ignition 12.35 @114 mph spinning through 1st gear

Comment

Working...
                                X