No announcement yet.

lug nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But if you need the capped type for wheels that don't have hubcaps . . I would strongly recommend AGAINST the Dorman ones.

I have never seen the chrome caps come off in 2 days before... nor have I seen rust happen that quickly without time-lapse photography...
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

I want some standard DEEP lugnuts (the ones that are about 3 times as tall) since the lug holes in my turbines on the Mark require those or the thin-wall lugs (and umm... HELL NO). The only long lugs I could find were those chrome capped things that are 'spensive as hell and every time an impact tool is used on them, the caps come off. The glue they use is absolute crap... and yes, the chrome caps are GLUED to the lugs, not tacked, not spot welded, GLUED! damn junk parts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

lots of new cars, specifically ford and toyota, are missing the chrome on the lug nuts. Worst part is they can jam the nut in the socket REALLY tight. I'm talking multiple swings with a BFH and a punch even after it starts to move.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          lots of new cars, specifically ford and toyota, are missing the chrome on the lug nuts. Worst part is they can jam the nut in the socket REALLY tight. I'm talking multiple swings with a BFH and a punch even after it starts to move.
          Smack the side of the socket.

Nice zombie thread.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            Nice zombie thread.
            This... I still want some normal long lugs though... maybe I should try welding 2-3 of the normal ones together (grind one flush like a normal nut)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Got a pic to show what you're getting at? :confused:
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

That's what I have now. The chrome comes unglued and falls off leaving a lug nut that is not the right size for any socket.

The problem is that the wheels require deep lugs and I can't seem to find any regular steel lugs that are just long.

Here's a pic of the turbine and the issue...

a normal lug nut would go completely into the lug hole in the turbine and then you would need a thin-wall socket to get at it. I'd rather just have long regular lug nuts that can be grabbed outside of the turbine's lug hole.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sly; 11-19-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Oh, weird. Not all factory turbines were like that, were they?

What lugnuts would that have come with from the factory? I guess the obvious budget solution is to get those Rally brand "truck" lugnuts that are bigger and longer, provided they clear the holes, but then you're back to the old chip-and-rust problem.

Any luck with brands like McGard? Their advertising claims are impressive, though for all I know their chrome chips as badly as anyone else's. Blaze86Vic reported good luck with (IIRC) stainless shank-type lugnuts from Cragar - no idea if they did conical-seat lugnuts that'd work for your needs, though.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'll check those out... I've only been looking at what the parts stores have... and those chrome hat things are crap.

Comment

Gorilla Automotive 91187XLB looks to be a winner... all one piece long acorn. gonna be 'spensive though.

maybe 96188SS

I'll see what prices I can find. I need the hex area to be at least an inch long above the bevel.
                      Last edited by sly; 11-19-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

My Dorman nuts did rust pretty quick... they aren't the kind with the shells that fall off though... I hate those!
                        I had the same issue when I put my turbines back on too. I think from the factory they just had an extra-tall plain 13/16 nut. The nuts for the steelies are shorter and make using them for turbines a PITA indeed.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My Dorman nuts did rust pretty quick... they aren't the kind with the shells that fall off though... I hate those!
                          I had the same issue when I put my turbines back on too. I think from the factory they just had an extra-tall plain 13/16 nut. The nuts for the steelies are shorter and make using them for turbines a PITA indeed.
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

yeah... I've been looking for extra long standard nuts... but nobody, but NOBODY seems to have them. They all have the regular stubs.

Comment

I've about given up buying new chrome lug nuts from the parts store...they rust or fall apart. I usually try to grab some factory ones from the JY if they are in good shape. I'm thinking I've seen long standard nuts that were used for racing...but I don't remember where.

Comment

well... ordered a set from SFX Performance (shop about an hour ish away from me)

I'm gonna take the two piece junk back for a refund... or have them give me an entire new set and then sell them on fleabay.

Comment

Working...
                                X