removing hub caps to get off turbines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing hub caps to get off turbines?

i cant get the damn hub caps off to pop my turbines off my new merc and throw on my winter tires... haha so how do ya get them suckers off before a do any damage
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Take the lug wrench, stick the lip under the center cap, lean it on the tire and smack the end of the wrench hard. Cap should fly off.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Original owner of my car slipped a thick piece rubber over the lug wrench. Was nice and easy to slip the tip of the lug wrench under the centercap and smack the wrench against the rim of the wheels to pop the caps off.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have a wonderbar in my trunk... I fold over a shop towel to protect the wheel and use that to pop the turbine cap off. Those things are a royal PITA to remove. I've already managed to dent one when I didn't pull directly away from the cap with the bar (hook end under like prying a nail out of a wall... something soft between the bar and the wheel).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pry bar or the tire iron that came off the car, pop that bitch off. Just stand to the side, cause it will hurt if it hits you...

Comment

haha thanks guys... wholy shit those basterds were on there.
            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I pried one off a box on the lift at work one time, and it flew right through the door going into the service desk area, bounced around on the counter knocking stuff over. My service manager thought I threw it at him! lol
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Glad I dug this up, couldn't figure out how to get mine off. I tried prying them off but thought "surely this isn't the way to do it or this would be a lot easier" guess I was right in the first place. I sorta thought maybe they screwed off since they turn a bit but that's too tough as well, guess i'll have to muscle them off since I want mine off permanently, my tires are in rough shape and since I won't be replacing them until the end of fall I don't want to have to mess with the caps on the side of the road should I get a flat.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

usally, cars with turbines, came with a spoon type looking prybar. it is hard to find though. seems like they were more popular for getting lost than the lock lug keys lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I use a wonderbar with a leather glove under it, against the turbine, to get the center caps off... keep everything as flat as possible and act like you're pulling a nail out... don't go side to side or you'll really eff up the center cap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I use the factory lug wrench dealio. I just put the prybar end behind the center cap and twist it and off pops the center cap.
                      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Funny thread. I remember years back the first time I had to pop a center cap off a turbine wheel. I sent it flying across the highway!
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Got mine off, and found out how ugly it still is without the caps on, guess i'll leave them on for now. I really need to get some new wheels, never realized how much I dislike turbines. They're a PITA to clean with all the spokes, I don't even bother I just pressure wash them.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I use the old thumb over the hose method... and a wheel brush.

Comment

Working...
                            X