No announcement yet.

Tire Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered 2 245/60/R15 Yokohama Avid S/Ts from Tire Rack. I will have those mounted and see how they fit. From there I will decide on the size for the rear wheels.

Comment

235/70/15 front and 255/70/15 rear (w/ wagon springs) on stock turbines, no probs so far.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Mine is running 235/70/15's all around. They are Goodyear Aquatread III's which i think were replaced by the Goodyear Assurance. I have no complaints except i think the larger size messes with the speedometer a bit.

1986 Grand Marquis LS - coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
        sigpic
        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Well, I went with 245/60/15 all the way around. The wheels I have now are a little farther out than I had anticipated due to the fact that I thought I had 7" wide turbines, when in fact they were 6.5" turbines.

Comment

Im running tiny ass 235/75's right now on teh back. They should be fun.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I run 235/75/15's, and they like to smash into the upper lip of my fenders when I have the wheels slightly turned in the front and I hit a small bump. Chock it up to bad shocks or the tires being too damn big. :cuss:
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

All you guys running the 235/75R15 tires, I got a question for ya - are you absolutely sure you know what you're doing? No offense, but what you have is 2" larger in diameter than the stock 215/70R15, which speeds your vehicle up by almost 8%. The maximum allowed (due to brake safety concerns) is 5% only, so by running so big wheels you're just pushing your luck... real hard at that. With the stock tires and the stock 2.73 open differential my car gets to 120mph without a problem, and the engine isn't anywhere near redlining, how much faster do you want to go? If you want high speed go for different gears, not for brake-melting truck-sized wheels. 235/65R15 will be perfect but that's pretty hard to find, so go for the 235/70R15 - that's a little taller but still within limits.

Comment

I was running 31x10.50's on the back. I have a 225/75 fronts and 235/75 rears. I do know what im doing. My car stops fine. My speedo is off but I dont care. And what are these rules you speak of? Ive never heard of them. And GL you cant run a 235/75 front without rubbing. My 225/75's run the back of the inner fender where the frame is. If you dont mind the rubbing a 31 will clear on the front.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

These rules are what tire shops use to cover their asses. They will fit and drive fine.

Comment

Southern_Pride, calm down man - just wanted to make sure you guys are aware of the potential dangers, after all we're all here to help each other, right? The rule about the 5% I've heard at some tire shops (as Blaze86Vic noticed), got it confirmed at work later on... guess it's just a piece of mind, rather than an aboslute must, but it was worth sharing it.

Comment

A 2" larger tire is nothing compared to going to 20" weels.

Comment

Sorry about the feeling of being angry. I was a bit jumpy this morning. Ive probably never heard of the rules because I mount my own tires. I dont balance em.
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

You don't balance them!!!! Do you know wat you are doing??? LOL

You must not drive very fast anywhere.....

Comment

Only about 110 on the interstate. they dont shake anywhere. Got over 20k on these.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                                A 2" larger tire is nothing compared to going to 20" weels.
                                Yeah, those scare the hell out of me when they get behind me, whenever I see one of them in the mirror I try to change lanes ASAP - for some reason many of them think that if you got big shiny wheels you gotta be fast too, and I don't wanna be in front of them when they realize it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X