No announcement yet.

HOW does failed tv bushing kill trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well technically every gear below the final gear can be a passing gear. I've never found it easy or fast to try to pass someone in OD.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

well, the AOD is designed so that it wont upshift to OD under full or very heavy throttle anyway. There are aftermarket valve bodies that will do this but unless the trans is beefed up, its just a quick way to smoke the overdrive band.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

just to be sure:
        that first video, from the transmission-specific dvd: that is NOT how you guys would adjust yours? No tensions at all, as shown, is way too loose, and not how I should do it?

Comment

Personally I have it a touch tighter than that, but how he describes it was exactly the way it was before I adjusted it. I just like a little bit firmer later upshifts than stock.
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I set mine how the first dvd shows, then I take a drive and see how it shifts, then usually add a little more pressure because I like a higher more firm shift. The first dvd is a good starting point, then just play with it until you get it where you like.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

The TV bushing is the orange grommet in the red circle, right?

I wasn't sure. There are 3 non-metal grommets down there, all circled in this pic.

Is this car at risk?
              Attached Files
              1985 Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
              Get It ==G|== Together

Comment

You can kill a transmission in less than 5 miles if the TV is not hooked up at all. The line pressure will be too low and the transmission will slip and die.
                Yes the orange is the TV bushing.

Comment

The bushing once went on my '87 GM and I was not carrying a spare (I do now!). In any event I drove home (about 20 miles) at about 15 miles per hour. The next day I put one in and it was fine. I credit slow driving and A LOT of luck which I would not count on usually! MECR is right in that usually bad results are sure to follow!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

with the rod, you have two TV bushings. the one you cirled on the pic and one at the CFI unit.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

marquisman: should I replace both bushings?

Is there a public source for TSBs on our cars?

Googling for '1985 grand marquis tsb' turns up a lot of SEO fodder with TSB summaries...
                      1985 Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
                      Get It ==G|== Together

Comment

you could if you wanted to. if they are original, it would not be a bad idea. cheap insurance if you ask me.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

when I replaced my shift grommet up by the throttlebody I replaced all of the bushings on the linkage as well cheap insurance to be sure
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Since you're in there anyway I agree with all of the above - change them all.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Did '89 and '90 with tv cables have a plastic bushing down at the transmission, too, that should be replaced with brass?
                              Is the brass "invincible" or does it sometimes come off, too?

Comment

I guess if you install it incorrectly it could drop out but it won't break down like the plastic/whatever the original ones do.

Comment

Working...
                                X