Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You didn't use bikini wax, did you?

Comment

Maybe some candle wax would help. If you get really desperate, try ear wax. If you don't, i'll try it on my dad's car. Couldn't hurt it any worse than it already is.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I prefer using meguair's polishes and waxes, all though I suppose a natural wax would be worth a try. The only problem is, where do you get enough ear wax to wax a car?

As for bikini wax, I think people might wonder start to wonder if you bought enough to wax a car...
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Need to do more than just wax man, if you want it to look good. Need to remove the oxidized crap, which requires a polishing compund... Just like Drock96marquis stated.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have some light/moderate oxidation/water spots on my hood, and its only on my hood. I used some wash/wax consintrate and then hit it with some elbow grease and high gloss wax. it brought it back somewhat.

I also bought some polishing compound and a buffer (as shown). Can the buffer and the polishing compound be used together to bring back some shine? I tried some in about a 3x3 square on the hood but i only used a round applicator and some elbow grease, didnt look like it did anything, even after a coat of wax ontop.

IDK why I'm anal about it shining, the hood needs to be painted as it has 2 1" goudges in the middle from a flying wrench about 3yrs ago, and the header panel is chipped to hell.
            Attached Files
            1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

would like to thank all how have repleyed

k well I'm doing this thursday i belive. i got alot of information from this site
              How-To Detail a Car - Car Detailing Tips and Car Care Advice - Car Detailing How-To Articles and Car Care Advice Step-by-step car polishing instructions, you will find everything you need for top quality car care here. A true car detailing resource f...

k first wash the car and dry. then use distalled white viniger to get the mineral deposits out. rewash the car and dry. then use mild polish(turtle wax polishing coumpound and scracth remover).(i dont wash in between right?) then use glaze(Meguiar's ScratchX which is more of a fine polish) . then use cleaner wax(Meguiar's cleaner wax).

k iam confused of what a cleaner wax is. its a very light polish and also a wax? so i dont wax after puting the cleaner wax? I also herd about sealents too but i cant find anything in my nearest auto store nore do i know if i need one. can i just go from polish to wax?
              sigpic
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681604 --- http://www.supermotors.net/17596

Comment

I've gone from polish to wax. In the springtime I do a three step method (but my paint isn't that old). I apply Meguiar's #3 (thick polish) with a rotary buffer, over the whole car, plastic lenses (does wonders) and all. Then I hand rub on Meguiar's #9 (swirl remover, another fine polish). Then, I finish off with Meguiar's #26 (liquid yellow wax). You can get 26 in paste form too, which I prefer. Then, throughout the season I periodically apply Meguiar's paste cleaner wax. This paste holds up better than 26 liquid. I think it is part cleaner/ polisher, and mostly wax. I like it, comes in the maroon tub.

If you use all the same product (like I do, I prefer Meguiar's) read the directions on the bottle/ tubs. It will tell you what you can use before or after certain products. It may also include tips. Make sure you follow the application directions too.

I know its friday now, but this may help if you didn't get to it yet.
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I havent done it yet. I got caught up in work, ect... and thursday's are my day off. So ill have to be next thursday. and thanks for the tips P72Ford.
                  sigpic

Comment

Then, I finish off with Meguiar's #26 (liquid yellow wax). You can get 26 in paste form too, which I prefer. Then, throughout the season I periodically apply Meguiar's paste cleaner wax. This paste holds up better than 26 liquid. I think it is part cleaner/ polisher, and mostly wax. I like it, comes in the maroon tub.
                    Mirror Glaze (Meguiar's) #26 hi-tech yellow wax FTW! :banana:

That is my favorite wax. It dries clear, and leaves no dust or white residue
                    It is a PURE wax, it has no polishing or cleaning ability at all. The paint MUST be fully prepped and polished before application.

I use this wax on virtually every car we have, it's finish is spectacular, and at or above that of the boutique brands (ie Zaino)

#26 overtop extensive polishing on my two babies:

Look Ma', no swirls!
                    That's the Mark VIII's reflection after topping a few hours polishing with the PC and Mirror Glaze polishes with #26
                    -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                    My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                    Modifications
                    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

WOW... I'M SPEACHLESS..... THATS... BEAUTIFUL!!!!

sigpic

Comment

good God Drock!
                        you...are....good!

can I get you to come up here and go at my car?

so would some scratchX and some cleaner wax really bring out the shine? or would I need to get a buffer?
                        I had a random orbit one, but it was just crap...those suck...but I've never used a buffer, I wouldn't want to screw nothing up...

wow..I didn't realize how pricey the godo buffers are...wow...how would this work Drock?
                        Autogeek is your number one car care source for auto detailing supplies, the best car wax, car care products, car polishes, auto accessories, polishers, and car detailing tools store.
                        Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 08-06-2007, 06:21 PM.
                        sigpic
                        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I like the straight rotary buffers (not Dual Action). However, its easy to burn the paint with one of those. Buffers make quick work of dull paint, slight scratches. The swirl marks can be a pain too though. However, the results are usually worth it, in my opinion.

Comment

I'm afraid of the orbital buffers because of burning the paint. I left a nice 2 inch burn line in the hood creases when I was 12 or so. Though I've gotten over it and now I use the Porter Cable random orbital and keep the rpm dial low. I swear by the 3m stuff because it's affordable, effective, and made by a good name. I would say for a good detail, I would clay bar the car (toss it if you drop it). Use 3m Swirl Mark Remover (comes light or dark formula, $13), 3m Hand Glaze if you like ($12), and then finish with 3m Perfect-It Paste Wax ($17). My dad uses this stuff called Blackfire, which looks great, but is to expensive for me. Here's a review link from a place I've gotten it from before. http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...showcarpa.html
                            sigpic
                            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                              good God Drock!
                              you...are....good!

can I get you to come up here and go at my car?

so would some scratchX and some cleaner wax really bring out the shine? or would I need to get a buffer?
                              I had a random orbit one, but it was just crap...those suck...but I've never used a buffer, I wouldn't want to screw nothing up...

wow..I didn't realize how pricey the godo buffers are...wow...how would this work Drock?
                              http://www.autogeek.net/poca746varap.html
                              If you are limiting yourself to OTC consumer products, then yes, ScratchX followed by a cleaner wax (say... ColorRx) will really help boost your paint finish. ScratchX's new formulation can now be applied with a DA polisher. Like PlastiX and numerous professional line products, it using diminishing abrasives which break down as you work the product to 'cover it's tracks' sort of speak.

The buffer would be an excellent choice, I use the same unit most of the time. I also have a PC 7336, which I purchased first. This is basically the same exact unit, but is sold as a sander and polisher. In actuality, they are identical but the 7336 gets a bigger counterweight.
                              With either, you will want to purchase a backing plate for 6" pads (Meguiar's sells one, I've been using a flexible one lately I got from ADS) and an assortment of 6" Mirror Glaze pads (for the most part, all you will use is the polishing and finishing pads)

A dual action, or orbital / random orbit polisher is pretty fool proof for even beginners. Of course, if using an aggressive compound or polish you must be careful. I liek to tape off the body lines with green 3m tape so there is no chance of burning on the edge.
                              -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                              My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                              Modifications
                              Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

ok, well...I'll wait for a ncie weekend and go at the hood/trunk/top with the ScratchX and some Cleaner Wax and se if it makes a noticable difference.

maybe later down the road I'll get that buffer...to make waxing/polishing our Mark V easier. as well as my car of course.

thanx for the tips Drock!
                                sigpic
                                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X