No announcement yet.

Modern headlights for boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pulled the trigger and bought a kit from Dapper Lighting. I bought a kit that includes both low and hi beam projectors as well as HID conversion kit. I did not get a relay harness. Cost for complete kit was $379.99 with free shipping (promo code on main page). These are real projector headlights, unlike most of the stuff you would find on Ebay hence the price tag. I think the price is pretty good actually considering you would spend about the same if not more to make you own. This is actually one of the few companies that I found that sells true 4x6 projector lights.

http://www.dapperlighting.com/collec...ctor-headlight

First impressions....

The kit comes nicely packaged and includes generic set of instructions.

This is what's included in the box. Two sets of headlights (hi beams and low beams), HID kit, instructions.

First lets start with the headlights. They are made in Taiwan as indicated on the box. Quality appears to be pretty decent. One thing I like about these is that the lenses are made of glass and not plastic so no need to worry about lenses turning yellow from UV light. There are 2 wires coming out of the back of each light to power halos. Although both low and hi beams look identical on the outside the projectors differ on the inside. Hi beams don't have the cut off glare shield. Both hi and low beams use 9006 bulbs.

When it comes to wiring this is what you would get. A pair of 9006 bulb adapters so box headlights would plug right in. No cutting and splicing necessary. As well as a pair of 9006 light bulbs.

I also added an HID kit as part of my purchase. It is basically like any other HID kit that you can get on Ebay or elsewhere. It's made in China and comes with a 5 year warranty as indicated on the website. You get 2 ballasts and a pair of bulbs.

I will post a review of how the lights perform when I get them installed.

Last edited by Mr Bean; 08-12-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

*drool*

yes... watching this part intently.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You really want the relay harness if those are going to perform as expected. The stock wiring has a good 1v of drop from battery voltage.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My car has a complete 96' Aero electrical system so I am not worried.

Comment

What light temperature (xxxxK) did you go with?

Looks titties btw
            1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

5000k.

Comment

Sick. I'll be interested in how this looks. I was looking at the LED 4x6s on eBay a few months back, but these look much better appearance wise.

sigpic
                - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

The relay harness is apparently only another 20 bucks.

Looks like I found the solution to my own headlight issues.

Are you saying the $379.99 was for all four? The listing says it's for a single pair.
                  Last edited by ootdega; 08-13-2014, 02:01 PM.
                  89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

$379 was for 4 lights. Low and hi beam as well as a low beam HID kit.

Comment

This looks like its one heck of a difference!

Although I will see how the difference is with the headlight relay upgrade
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Cool. Are you going to be wiring in the Halo function? What color is the halo?
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Cool. Are you going to be wiring in the Halo function? What color is the halo?
                          I will wire halos as day time running lights. The halos are white.

Comment

I bought the ones Lazerbeans has in his CV. That's the reason I needed headlight buckets to modify, because the rear of the sealed, projector beams doesn't fit our buckets. They're the same as these, but smoked or blacked out inside the housings. http://everythingcarparts.com/87-90_...4x6-BK_15.html

I didn't pay for any HID upgrades or anything, I don't want to be that asshole blinding everyone. I thought the $35+ shipping was per bulb, so I accidentally ordered 2 full sets of 4 bulbs, so I guess I have spares!
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                              I bought the ones Lazerbeans has in his CV. That's the reason I needed headlight buckets to modify, because the rear of the sealed, projector beams doesn't fit our buckets. They're the same as these, but smoked or blacked out inside the housings. http://everythingcarparts.com/87-90_...4x6-BK_15.html

I didn't pay for any HID upgrades or anything, I don't want to be that asshole blinding everyone. I thought the $35+ shipping was per bulb, so I accidentally ordered 2 full sets of 4 bulbs, so I guess I have spares!
                              Are they plastic or glass fronts? My guess is: plastic.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

The fronts feel like glass to me, but I can't tell for sure even by tapping on them.
                                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                                X