Modern headlights for boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
    I bought the ones Lazerbeans has in his CV. That's the reason I needed headlight buckets to modify, because the rear of the sealed, projector beams doesn't fit our buckets. They're the same as these, but smoked or blacked out inside the housings. http://everythingcarparts.com/87-90_...4x6-BK_15.html

I didn't pay for any HID upgrades or anything, I don't want to be that asshole blinding everyone. I thought the $35+ shipping was per bulb, so I accidentally ordered 2 full sets of 4 bulbs, so I guess I have spares!
    Unfortunately those are not projector headlights. Those are regular lights with a round lens in front of them. They don't have any projector optics in them. Those are the Ebay ones.

Comment

Continuing on with the review. I mocked up the lights tonight on the car.

They basically fit right in. I did have to bend inner lip of the headlight buckets very lightly so projector would fit all the way in.

As far as the light output goes lets start with the halos. They are rather disappointing. Basically just 2 diodes at the bottom that light up the ring. They are quite dim during the day light. I suggest for anyone planning on buying these to pull the projector out and replace the halo ring with some LED rings. They sell them on Ebay.

Next up the actual projectors. As expected the light output blows OEM headlights out of the water.

I also installed HIDs into the high beam housings. These are 3500k yellow HIDs. Once I start driving the car I will post some pics of light output on the road as well as projector cut off.

I got a video of the lights I will upload in a bit.

Comment

Here is a short video of the lights.

Comment

nice... very nice... if/when I get some bank going... I may very much wanna do this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Now you got me thinking.
              One of my Hella lenses is already broken.
              1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

bad move on the high beam HID.... please dont be offeneded i dont mean it like that. let me rephrase. i like it alot, they look nice. but HIDs do not take kindly to be used as high beams. you will maybe get a year or so out of them if used as high beams.

the reason behind it is because they have a warm up time and if they are shut on and off repeatedly in a short time, they burn. they have to cool all the way back down to room temp before they can be turned on safely. they will still work fine but your color will fade fast and the bulb will go out twice as fast as their normal life expectancy. that is the reason you saw bi-xenon in my car. they never physically shut off, they move. also, never start you car with your HIDs already on first. turn them on after the cars started. the voltage spikes will fry ballasts.
                Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Yea, that's a valid point and I probably should've mentioned it for anyone thinking of running the same setup. That's probably the reason they don't include HIDs for hi beams.

I don't use hi beams often so I am not too worried about burning the bulbs out. I can get replacement bulbs for like $12 each and I got a few ballasts laying around from years of messing with HIDs so I am not worried about it. That's the same setup that I had on my 96' so I just moved the bulbs over. I had them for several years and they haven't burned out yet. I am sure it's only a matter of time but that's the price to pay for running this setup. lol

Comment

That was helpful information. I guess that explains why some hid sets involve a mechanical shade to switch from low to high and back.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Serge, what is the bulb type(size) for both the high and low beam?
                      Is there a bixenon projector in the low beam housing or is it just a low beam projector and the high beam housing has a different cutoff?
                      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Projectors use 9006 bulbs for both his and lows. Low beam has a cut off shield. Hi beam has the shield removed.

Comment

To run that set up you have then, would the high beams need to be kept on to keep the yellow light lit up?

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                          1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                          88 CVLX
                          01 Marquis

Comment

I got the Dapper lights too, without the projectors and relay, since I have the relay already. The bulbs that are included are cheap bulbs that you would probably replace. Im going to be getting a HID set up soon, but I needed lights since I can not see at night when driving. Here are some photos on a wagon. I had to modify the adjuster bowl to fit the projector. I attached some photos of where it would hit. I still need to do the other side, but its a plug and play set up. Once I figured out that I needed to cut parts, it would be a really quick instillation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141222_202650751.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1276881Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141222_202656443.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1276882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141222_202736245.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1276883Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141222_202746597.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1276884Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141223_212525913.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1276885Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141223_212530591.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1276886Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141223_212539232.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1276887Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141223_224012846.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1276888Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141223_224020541.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1276889Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141223_224030255.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1276890

Previously:
                            88 CVLX
                            01 Marquis

Comment

Those are projector lights btw. The adjuster bowl is easy to modify. I just bent it out ever so slightly so the new lights fit in properly. No need to cut.

Comment

Harumph, I meant to say HID, not projector. This light would not fit the bowl without cutting. I tried bending, but it wouldnt stay flat in the bowl unless I cut it. It was easy to modify, a few minutes with a Dremel and it was done.

Previously:
                                88 CVLX
                                01 Marquis

Comment

Working...
                                X