1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
    Flowmaster something 40 something exhaust...

Bet the cat sounds bitchin'. I wanna check her out in person.
    If you're ever in south jersey we should meet up, John too, or anyone else who wants to. I always enjoy it's rumble, lol.

The stock gearing is pretty terrible. I dont know what the hell they were thinking. It doesn't seem to be useful for economy or performance. I guess you might claim that you can hit higher top speed since the engine won't rev out before it gets there, but with the lack of power and amazing aerodynamics I suspect that the engine RPM wouldn't be what ends up being the limiting factor for extreme high speed action.
    You took the words right out of my mouth, I was going to post just about the exact same thing. I guess they had no use for any decent engineers back then, would explain a lot actually... they shouldn't have come with anything lower than the 3.08, those gears belong in cars that came before the panthers, when overdrive didn't exist.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

OSHI- never got around to posting in here. I love the transformation this LTD-S has undergone. She was pretty cool when you got her, but she's at a totally different level now. I'm extremely jealous.

I've never seen an LTD-S in person, let alone a former police car variant (factory slicktop FTW!). Can't be many in this good of shape around. She looks absoutely beautiful, especially with those dog-dish rims. That pushbar looks pretty badass too. Probably keeps the brake checkers and/or lane wanderers at bay huh? Haha.

Must.... buy.... LTD/LTD-S cop car someday.
      Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 07-13-2014, 03:49 PM. Reason: Added some context
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Hey Thanks! I usually don't have a problem with people getting out of the way lol.

If you can find one, you should!
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Finally installed the 86 valve body John gave me, with the Baumann shift kit I installed. After a bit of a hiccup, see:
          http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...283#post731283

It now is, once again, an entirely different animal! Shifts are firm, without delay or slippage, especially at full throttle. I had a major problem with the 2-3 shift at WOT before, it's now amazing. The car gained noticeable acceleration with the new rear and driveshaft, however with improved shifting it has also helped considerably, I would now feel comfortable taking on the drag strip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2069.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1276071
          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Have you done an autopsy on the stock VB to see if you could find problems? Just curious if it was wear/dirt or original engineering suckage.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nick was saying you didn't have park or something, do you have that yet? lol

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Haven't taken it apart yet, but plan to! Apparently the 1-2 accumulator is made of plastic, and can crack. It was updated to aluminum in the current valve body.

It's true I don't have park, and still don't. It will get fixed one of these days. lol
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  Haven't taken it apart yet, but plan to! Apparently the 1-2 accumulator is made of plastic, and can crack. It was updated to aluminum in the current valve body.

It's true I don't have park, and still don't. It will get fixed one of these days. lol
                  The best permanent fix is a temporary fix.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                  The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Thats been what, 5 years now?

Not that I should say a damn thing. I have so many things that "I'm going to get to".
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh i think more like 3 or 4 max lol. The trans leaks out the front and rear seal as well. but not enough for me to do anything about it...

86VickyLx took a ride today and compared it to his silverfox VB, that made me happy to hear.

I just have to go over everything really well before my 600+ mile trip to Connecticut and PA, breaking down then would NOT be fun..
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Had a great time at Scottfest, no hiccups!

Had cheesesteakjim AKA Nick fabricate up and weld some new push bumper brackets. I was very impressed by his work, and the way it all came together!
                        I wanted it so that everything was removable, in case I wanted it to look as though a push bar was never there, and also never touch the bumper, as the new one I will be putting on is close to perfect. Highly recommend him!

Also waxed the car today...looks a lot better than it did at SF!

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1276199Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1276200Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2275.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1276201Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1276202Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1276203Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1276204Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2288.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1276205Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1276206
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

no dyno numbers?

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Sweet! Now you gotta find some school buses stuck on train tracks or something to test it all out.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

OH yeah! We went to a dyno at SF (Thanks to Ryan!) I pulled 171 HP and 274 ft-lb of torque, higher numbers than i was expecting. Here is a picture of the pulls.

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1276207
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

that's with the headers and duals, right?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                                X